Cinnamon flogging the CPU?

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mr_raider
Level 7
Level 7

Cinnamon flogging the CPU?

Post by mr_raider »

I've been dual booting Mint 17.1 Cnnamon x64 and Mint 17 KDE x64 for the past few days. I notice that in Cinnamon, the CPU fan is spinning louder, and the CPU useage is much higher. When watching streaming video in chrome, the CPU is loaded almost to 100%. These issues do not seem to happen in Mint KDE. What gives?

using a laptop with core i3 3217 and integrated 4000 Intel graphics.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Cinnamon flogging the CPU?

Post by Hoser Rob »

You'd be booting a newer kernel in 17.1 and I think you're having config issues ... probably the video card.

I have Mint 17 Cinnamon on an i3 laptop with intel integrated hd graphics. I had to do some jiggering to get the brightness controls to work but it's quite fast otherwise.

Did you try turning off as many video effects as possible in Cinnamon?

I'd try downloading a live boot iso of mint 17 cinnamon (not 17.1) and booting it from usb stick. See how the speed is then.

Mint is taking the right path IMO in being very conservative with its ubuntu base in mint 17. For some silly reason ubuntu chose not to use an lts kernel in its latest lts release. I'm going to be cautious about what I update, and I'm sticking with 17.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
mr_raider
Level 7
Level 7

Post by mr_raider »

The problem is present on all variants of the 3.13 kernel, .24, .37 and .40.

I tried using the 3.16 kernel in both installs, as well as updating the Intel drivers from their web site with no change.

This seems to be a chrome specific problem, as chrome pegs all four cores at 80% on some sites.

I should note that I have mint 17 cinnamon on another PC with amd graphics and no issues.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Re:

Post by Hoser Rob »

mr_raider wrote:The problem is present on all variants of the 3.13 kernel, .24, .37 and .40....
Well, the issue is that those are variants of the 3.13 kernel. For some reason ubuntu 14.04 lts does not use the 3.12 kernel, which is the upstream supported lts kernel version. So ubuntu is going to have to do a ton of backporting by themselves.

This is why I switched to mint ... it's adopted a more conservative upgrade system in Update Manager. It's also why I'm going to stick to 17.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
mr_raider
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Re:

Post by mr_raider »

Hoser Rob wrote:
mr_raider wrote:The problem is present on all variants of the 3.13 kernel, .24, .37 and .40....
Well, the issue is that those are variants of the 3.13 kernel. For some reason ubuntu 14.04 lts does not use the 3.12 kernel, which is the upstream supported lts kernel version. So ubuntu is going to have to do a ton of backporting by themselves.

This is why I switched to mint ... it's adopted a more conservative upgrade system in Update Manager. It's also why I'm going to stick to 17.

Let me be specific. I do not have the problem on Kubuntu 14.04. I do not have the problem on Mint 17 KDE. I don't even have the problem on Mint Cinnamon 17.0 running on an AMD APU. The issue seems to be only with Mint Cinnamon 17 and 17.1 using an Intel HD graphics. Furthermore the issue is directly related to running chrome I believe with flash video or flash heavy sites.

This not a kernel problem. This has something to do with how gnome handles video rendering.
richyrich

Post by richyrich »

I don't know if this will help you with your Intel graphics, but it might . .

https://01.org/linuxgraphics/
mr_raider
Level 7
Level 7

Post by mr_raider »

Installed the Intel drivers in both kde and cinnamon, which actually required me to upgrade to the 3.16 kernel. Problem still present in cinnamon. Flash video just slows to a crawl.

Return to “Cinnamon”