Toshiba Chromebook CB30 on Mint 17 flash drive install

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
yerc

Toshiba Chromebook CB30 on Mint 17 flash drive install

Post by yerc »

Just wanting to share how I got this Chromebook on a Mint 17 flash drive install and hopefully get ideas on how to improve.

Issues:
  • 1. Installer fails with a message - not enough memory
    2. My apprehension that Mint 17 on a flash drive would be unacceptably slow
    3. Kernels from the repo do not support the Chromebook touchpad
Workarounds:
  • Issue 1 - Kernel option mem=1500m added to the grub entry did the trick.

Issue 2 - used a USB 3 flash drive to improve speed (Chromebook has USB 3 ports). I also disabled desktop effects. Can confirm that my Mint 17 Cinnamon install on the USB runs the Chromebook as smoothly (if not smoother) than my Mint 17 XFCE hard drive install on an Acer Aspire One netbook. I've tested the heavy LibreOffice and Firefox apps.

Issue 3 - Installed kernel 3.17.4 (support for the Chromebook's touchpad was added since 3.17) following instruction from http://www.yourownlinux.com/2014/11/how ... linux.html. Touchpad did work.
The Chromebook running ChromeOS was perfect for browsing the web and running web apps.
Now it's an awesome piece of device that does more than web browsing - thanks to Linux Mint!

Other things I changed for the flash drive install according to suggestions I found:
  • 1. Set swappiness to 0 -> apparently reduces wear and tear for the flash drive
    2. added elevator=noop kernel parameter to GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT
EDIT: I also set keyboard shortcuts to make most special keys behave like they do on ChromeOS (i.e volume up/down, mute, brightness up/down). On ChromeOS, the delete key is Alt+Backspace. Anyone knows how to assign Alt+Backspace shortcut keys as Delete key in Cinnamon?

Also I would appreciate any advice to further improve the flash drive install.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
johand

Re: Toshiba Chromebook CB30 on Mint 17 flash drive install

Post by johand »

Hi yerc,

Finally a brave one that tried this and succeeded.
I cannot help you on your question but I would like to ask if you could specify how you exactly did the install on the USB-drive/stick of Mint 17.1 with a chromebook.
I also have a Toshiba CB2 and would like to do the same.
Are there any settings that should be changed /bios etc..

For example a procedure like : download the iso;use unetbootin to write it to USB;boot from usb etc....

This would be really helpfull since I always wanted to have a dual-boot between Chrome OS and Linux Mint.

Thank you !
yerc

Post by yerc »

johand wrote:Hi yerc,

I also have a Toshiba CB2 and would like to do the same.
Are there any settings that should be changed /bios etc..

For example a procedure like : download the iso;use unetbootin to write it to USB;boot from usb etc....
No worries, here's how I did mine:
[*]Requirements:
  • >The Chromebook obviously :-)
    >Linux Mint 17 ISO
    >A second PC to create the installation media
    >A flash drive to be the target installation disk (I used the SanDisk Ultra Fit USB 3.0 Flash Drive 64gb. The choice was deliberate: USB 3 to match the speed of the Chromebook's USB 3 ports, and low profile for an ever-present storage that will not get in the way.)
    >A second flash drive for Chromebook recovery
    >A third spare 4Gb flash drive to be the installation media
[*]Steps Anyone can do this :-)
marvin13

Post by marvin13 »

I'm also running my Acer C720 from a low profile USB 3.0 flash drive. This is what I used for the C720's keyboard so it behaves a little like ChromeOS https://github.com/dnschneid/crouton/bl ... s/keyboard.
stupatch

Post by stupatch »

I soooooo want to get this to work ... I have the CB30-B-103 Chromebook 2 ...

I go through all the steps but fail to boot off the USB Stick?

1) Ctrl-U confirms at this stage USB Boot has been disabled.

2) Enter Developer mode and CTRL ALT -> to a Shell

3) login as Chronos and enter the following:

Code: Select all

~$ sudo enable_dev_usb_boot 
Return Message states success and to insert Bootable USB stick / SD and use CTRL + U on developer screen

However when I try Ctrl + U in developer screen on boot, I just get a hard beep as if to say No and I am unable to boot from USB ... No message or anything?

USB Mint Stick is a working & bootable as tested on other PCs

Any ideas?
stupatch

Post by stupatch »

No joy in the end ... took the Chromebook 2 back ... exchanged for a Lenovo Yoga 2 ... wiped Schwindows 8.1 and installed a delicious cinnamon flavoured Linux Mint :D

Return to “Cinnamon”