Promissed feature missing in rebecca upgrade Cinnamon

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
freed00m

Promissed feature missing in rebecca upgrade Cinnamon

Post by freed00m »

Hi,

I was looking forward to Nemo's folder color picker in cinnamon.

Although after upgrading from 17 -> 17.1 I am missing that feature in Nemo.

Firstly I thought It was due to custom icon theme, but It's missing even with Defaults set.

Am I alone, or shall I fill in a bug report?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
caribriz

Re: Promissed feature missing in rebecca upgrade Cinnamon

Post by caribriz »

Hi,

Just to report my experience with this with the upgrade from LM17 Cinnamon to LM17.1 Cinnamon -

I found that if I used a different icon theme other than the default offerings (that is not one of the new Mint-X color sets),
the folder color-change option was not available in the drop down menu when I right-clicked on a folder.

Changed the icons to one of the Mint-X color icon sets, and the option reappeared in the menu.
freed00m

Post by freed00m »

Thanks for the reply, I had to restart the cinnamon to see if it's working with Mint-X and it is.

Do you know how to get it working with other icon sets?? Because I have a custom icons with all the colored version.
caribriz

Post by caribriz »

freed00m wrote:Thanks for the reply, I had to restart the cinnamon to see if it's working with Mint-X and it is.

Do you know how to get it working with other icon sets?? Because I have a custom icons with all the colored version.
No, sorry - no idea :(
expat_tony

Post by expat_tony »

caribriz wrote:I found that if I used a different icon theme other than the default offerings (that is not one of the new Mint-X color sets),
the folder color-change option was not available in the drop down menu when I right-clicked on a folder.

Changed the icons to one of the Mint-X color icon sets, and the option reappeared in the menu.
17.1 includes a new-look Nemo toolbar, which I would like, but I'm using my own customised green theme (as you may remember, Caribriz) so I don't need the colour icons. Is it okay to upgrade, or will it override my theme, with the result that I'd need to re-install it? To save time doing that, I tried to save the custom theme on an external HD but I get a message:
Error while copying "bottom-right-inactive.xpm"....Filesystem does not support symbolic links.
It does offer a 'Skip / Skip all' option but then it wouldn't be a complete copy, of course.

So now I'm not sure how best to proceed, ruling out a trial & error update because 'error' would waste a lot of my time. Did your own custom theme survive, Caribriz?
caribriz

Post by caribriz »

expat_tony wrote:
caribriz wrote:I found that if I used a different icon theme other than the default offerings (that is not one of the new Mint-X color sets),

17.1 includes a new-look Nemo toolbar, which I would like, but I'm using my own customised green theme (as you may remember, Caribriz) so I don't need the colour icons. Is it okay to upgrade, or will it override my theme, with the result that I'd need to re-install it? To save time doing that, I tried to save the custom theme on an external HD but I get a message:
Error while copying "bottom-right-inactive.xpm"....Filesystem does not support symbolic links.
It does offer a 'Skip / Skip all' option but then it wouldn't be a complete copy, of course.

So now I'm not sure how best to proceed, ruling out a trial & error update because 'error' would waste a lot of my time. Did your own custom theme survive, Caribriz?
Hi Tony :)

I upgraded to LM17.1 Cinnamon and am still using the Mint-blue themes based on Mint-X in LM17.
They seem to be working ok in LM17.1.

Nemo's toolbar is different in LM17.1. Using my LM17 Mint-blue themes, the toolbar pathbar buttons changed to the rectangular shape automatically.
But, using the theme made in LM17, the toolbar buttons on the left and right of the pathbar are a bit "squeezed" compared to the new Mint-X-Colors themes.

I got around this by going to ~/.themes/Mint-blue-LM17/gtk-3.0/apps - renaming cinnamon-applications.css to cinnamon-applications-old.css.
Then copied the cinnamon-applications.css file from the new 17.1 version of Mint-X theme into my own theme's gtk-3.0/apps folder.
If you have changed the color of the sidebar in your theme, you would have to edit the top line in the file:

Code: Select all

@define-color nemo_sidebar_bg #505050;
replacing the color code with your own sidebar color.

Change to another theme before you do this, then just change back to your theme after making the edits.

(The picture above is my LM17 theme after doing the edits.)

To backup your theme to external drive, go to ~/.themes, right-click the theme folder, click Compress ... and save it as a .tar.gz file.
You should be able to copy this .tar.gz file to your external as a backup.
This is the way I use to copy theme/icon folders back-and-forth between installs/drives/live usbs.

PS. If you want your own Controls theme to appear like all the rest of the themes in the new Themes window of LM17.1,
you can follow these instructions to make your own thumbnail - scroll down to the gtk theme section:
http://segfault.linuxmint.com/2014/09/t ... namon-2-4/
expat_tony

Post by expat_tony »

That's exactly what I needed to know, caribriz, thanks.
Sorry for the long delay in writing. I hardly visit the forum these days since I killed Win8 and use LM17 exclusively as a running system "never to be touched". I'll install 17.1 on a stick first and check out my customisations there.
WinterTroubles

Post by WinterTroubles »

freed00m wrote:Thanks for the reply, I had to restart the cinnamon to see if it's working with Mint-X and it is.

Sorry for not posting sooner, I only noticed this thread today.

I'm using both theme and icon set from ravefinity and I have the folder colour picker working as it should.. as demonstrated by the screeshot below.
foldercolours.png
I have no clue as to why it doesn't work with your chosen icon set unfortunately and can only confirm that it does work with some icon sets other than Mint-x.

Sorry I can't offer more detailed advice
WT
freed00m

Post by freed00m »

I'm using both theme and icon set from ravefinity and I have the folder colour picker working as it should.. as demonstrated by the screeshot below.
foldercolours.png
I have no clue as to why it doesn't work with your chosen icon set unfortunately and can only confirm that it does work with some icon sets other than Mint-x.

Sorry I can't offer more detailed advice
WT
Thanx my friend :) but I also use ravefinity icons but a different set, it still does not work. But thanx anyway.

Return to “Cinnamon”