Desktop laggy after a long period of inactivity

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
papa33

Desktop laggy after a long period of inactivity

Post by papa33 »

Hello,

I have the following weird issue (mint 17.1 cinnamon 64 bits, nvidia 340 proprietary drivers from xorg edgers). When i go back to my computer after a long period of inactivity, the desktop (in particuler moving windows) is very laggy.
Then after a few minutes, without restarting cinnamon to, it comes back to normal. I do not have this issue with Mate desktop, so it might be related to the cinnamon window manager.
I did not find anything helpful in the logs so far.

Has anyone else got the same problem? Is there an easy fix?

Thanks in advance
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
mintcouver

Re: Desktop laggy after a long period of inactivity

Post by mintcouver »

Same problem here on both my PC's. When the problem occurs the System Monitor shows cpu usage at ~50%, even though nothing is running. Checked the process tab, 'Cinnamon' is hogging all the cpu. Killed the Cinnamon process (right click), it automatically restarts after a few seconds, and things return to normal.
Tested with the same results on: 1) Dell Vostro 220, 3gb, cpu: Pentium E5400, gpu: Intel 4500HD, abd 2) Dell Optiplex 760, 2gb, cpu: Pentium E5200, gpu: ATI 3450.
papa33

Post by papa33 »

Yes, I also notice high cpu and memory usage (over 350MB for the cinnamon process). Doing Alt+F2 and r restarts cinnamon and the problem is gone, until the next time.
harry26

Post by harry26 »

you can re-install the windows of your computer.if the same issue will come then check the network connections also.
papa33

Post by papa33 »

I tried nouveau drivers, and there is an improvement in RAM usage, but the problem with high CPU loads is still there, ans so is the "laggy desktop" issue.
I really wish there was a fix because cinnamon is my favorite DE, but unfortunately I think I'll have to go for some other DE.
mintcouver

Post by mintcouver »

I share your sentiments. I've searched the net but can't find anyone else complaining about this problem, much less a solution. Cinnamon 2.4 is useless as is, I'm reverting back to Mint 17.0 or maybe I will try the Mate D.E. :cry:

p.s. have you watched the 'cinnamon' process using the 'top' command. It very slowly increases its cpu usage, wheather the system is idle or not.
RamBurner
Level 4
Level 4

Post by RamBurner »

I have the same problem, I've just been logging out/in and it is fine for some time, then lagging again.
papa33

Post by papa33 »

This is really a Cinnamon issue, not a linux mint one, because I have excactly the same problem with manjaro, on two different computers with different GPUs.
BigEasy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by BigEasy »

Cinnamon is Mint's development. Not someone's another.
Windows assumes I'm stupid but Linux demands proof of it
papa33

Post by papa33 »

BigEasy wrote:Cinnamon is Mint's development. Not someone's another.
Yes but it can be installed on other distros...

Return to “Cinnamon”