nested menu

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
doctorx

nested menu

Post by doctorx »

Why does it seem that noone wants nested menus anymore? I wont use cinnamon for that exact reason. I have crossover and wine set up, and when you install into cinnamon, you get a flat menu with 50 uninstall entries and so on. I am all for new ways of doing menus, but please throw us a bone every once in a while. I have tried hacking the code (major fail), looking here in the forums for a way around it, and seaching in general on google.

I hope i am just being dense and there is a flag or something i can set to give that... otherwise, can someone tell me or point me in the right direction on why this decision was made?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
lestcape
Level 2
Level 2

Re: nested menu

Post by lestcape »

On Linux in general, there are categories for applications, not the same disorder that we can find on windows... So, you always can return to windows if you want... I don't know how you can see a problem here. I think it's a matter of taste and habits.
doctorx

Post by doctorx »

lestcape wrote:On Linux in general, there are categories for applications, not the same disorder that we can find on windows... So, you always can return to windows if you want... I don't know how you can see a problem here. I think it's a matter of taste and habits.
Excuse me? Who said this was windows i was talking about? Nested menus have been around linux for decade or more. Apparently you do not use wine or crossover then. Gnome2 had it, Mate has it, KDE has it, xfce. But all the new menus do not. I have been using linux since 95. I had to use windows for gaming, but no longer need it. There is more disorder in the menus in cinnamon and such than windows. Where do you get thiat?
lestcape
Level 2
Level 2

Post by lestcape »

Not, I'm not a gamer, maybe this is the reason of why i don't understand you...
Any way, i hate a menu like that.
lestcape
Level 2
Level 2

Post by lestcape »

"Gnome 2 has it, Mate has it, KDE has it, xfce. But all the new menus do not." Can you please provide me a picture of this menu that you are talking about, where i can see all the submenu? Maybe if i see this, you can convince me... I can make a menu like this in cinnamon, if i think that could help.
doctorx

Post by doctorx »

here is one out of mate.

Screenshot.jpg

I dont have cinnamon loaded but all of those submenus are flattened.
doctorx

Post by doctorx »

lestcape wrote:"Gnome 2 has it, Mate has it, KDE has it, xfce. But all the new menus do not." Can you please provide me a picture of this menu that you are talking about, where i can see all the submenu? Maybe if i see this, you can convince me... I can make a menu like this in cinnamon, if i think that could help.

I would love to have just a simple menu like this in cinnamon. Only reason i am not running it now. Thanks for looking at it for me.
lestcape
Level 2
Level 2

Post by lestcape »

Thats is ok, but see it's just for wine, so this will require modify the api again, to add another step, just for one more category, that also require install another program.... What i say it's: I want to see where is used for linux program in general... Support things of windows on linux, is not interesting. Another user response what i need to know... I'm relatively new on linux, so sorry for asking about old things...

Please see:
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=90&t=183096

Thanks for taking the time...
lestcape
Level 2
Level 2

Post by lestcape »

I think that the first necessary step was relined... I will see when i finished the global menu if i have time to introduce the api and create a menu with this functionalities.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WfOjwaWi53o

Return to “Cinnamon”