Cinnamon Desktop Windows Show Nothing But Background

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
acedelmar

Cinnamon Desktop Windows Show Nothing But Background

Post by acedelmar »

Hey All! Before we get started, I need to tell you I'm a Noob. About a year ago I decided to switch my work laptop from Windows 8 to Linux Mint with Cinnamon and haven't regretted it since. I'm currently running Linux Mint 17 with Cinnamon 2.2.

The other day, I installed updates from the Update Manager. These included: bsdutils, libblkid1, libmount1, libuuid1, libuuid1:i386, mount, util-linux and uuid-runtime. The next time I restarted, Cinnamon let me log in just fine but when the desktop loaded I noticed the glitches. If I move my mouse over the items in the application launch bar they flicker and disappear. I can still click on them and programs still load, but the icons appear and disappear. The same thing happens when I mouseover the panel area.

This is annoying and I could live with it, but there's a bigger problem. If I open anything that is a system (e.g. Terminal, Users and Groups, etc.) not an external program (e.g. Firefox, LibreOffice, etc.), the frame for the program opens up but all I can see is the desktop background. For example, if I open Terminal, I can see the box indicating where it should be but it's just a box framing part of the wallpaper behind it. I can type in it and it works and if I guess where the minimize or close buttons are they work, too. I just can't see anything!

I have LXDE as an alternative and it works fine, so the glitch is in Cinnamon somehow...

I purged Cinnamon and its configuration files. I reinstalled it and get the same result.

If you have any suggestions, I would appreciate your help. I have been enjoying Linux and have NO desire to return to Windows! (Just assume I know nothing and you'll be not far off!)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
treblepoe

Re: Cinnamon Desktop Windows Show Nothing But Background

Post by treblepoe »

That's bizarre.
I've seen that people sometimes have issues with glitches on cinnamon when they have their desktop effects turned on; try turning all of those off and see what happens?
I'll keep a look out for similar problems (I'm a newbie too x_x )

Return to “Cinnamon”