Cinnamon crashes on certain webpages

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
godgodgodgo

Cinnamon crashes on certain webpages

Post by godgodgodgo »

inxi -F

Code: Select all

System:    Host: chris-Satellite-U300 Kernel: 3.13.0-37-generic i686 (32 bit) Desktop: Gnome Distro: Linux Mint 17.1 Rebecca
Machine:   System: TOSHIBA (portable) product: Satellite U300 version: PSU30E-01T029EN
           Mobo: TOSHIBA model: Satellite U300 Bios: TOSHIBA version: V5.10 date: 01/15/2009
CPU:       Dual core Intel Core2 Duo CPU T5450 (-MCP-) cache: 2048 KB flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 ssse3) 
           Clock Speeds: 1: 1000.00 MHz 2: 1000.00 MHz
Graphics:  Card: Intel Mobile GM965/GL960 Integrated Graphics Controller (primary) 
           X.Org: 1.15.1 drivers: intel (unloaded: fbdev,vesa) Resolution: 1440x900@59.9hz 
           GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel 965GM x86/MMX/SSE2 GLX Version: 2.1 Mesa 10.1.3
Audio:     Card: Intel 82801H (ICH8 Family) HD Audio Controller driver: snd_hda_intel Sound: ALSA ver: k3.13.0-37-generic
Network:   Card-1: Realtek RTL8101E/RTL8102E PCI Express Fast Ethernet controller driver: r8169 
           IF: eth0 state: up speed: 100 Mbps duplex: full mac: 00:1b:24:69:a0:6d
           Card-2: Intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG [Golan] Network Connection driver: iwl3945 
           IF: wlan0 state: down mac: 00:1b:77:7d:45:df
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 120.0GB (3.9% used) 1: id: /dev/sda model: FUJITSU_MHY2120B size: 120.0GB 
Partition: ID: / size: 108G used: 4.4G (5%) fs: ext4 ID: swap-1 size: 2.67GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap 
RAID:      No RAID devices detected - /proc/mdstat and md_mod kernel raid module present
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 53.0C mobo: N/A 
           Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A 
Info:      Processes: 144 Uptime: 14 min Memory: 469.2/2513.8MB Client: Shell inxi: 1.8.4 
Running a fresh install of Linux Mint Cinnamon 17.1 "Rebecca"
Firefox 33.0 (pre-installed with mint)

I have recently identified that cinnamon is crashing when I go on certain webpages, this causes my monitors to receive no output and go into power save mode. The only way I found out that it was cinnamon crashing was to log onto my computer with TeamViewer.

The website that I was trying to access and that I can reproduce the issue on every time is http://www.google.com/chrome
When cinnamon crashes it brings up the notification box asking if I want to restart it however when I click "yes" it just crashes again (I guess the webpage is still open in a process).

Are there crash logs for cinnamon somewhere that I can use to solve this issue?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Re: Cinnamon crashes on certain webpages

Post by karlchen »

Hello, godgodgodgo.

If you want to make sure the Mint makers read your report, you should consider adding it as a comment to the blog thread where Mint 17.1 Cinnamon RC has been anncounced:
Linux Mint 17.1 “Rebecca” Cinnamon RC released!
You might briefly mention it there and refer them back here for the details. I guess this might work.

Reason:
The developers need your feedback there. They will read the blog comments. They may not scan the forum for feedback on the Mint 17.1 RC release, however.

Cheers,
Karl
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 762 days now.
Lifeline
godgodgodgo

Post by godgodgodgo »

Okay thanks, I'll try that now.
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt »

Hi all,

I'm the first one to report this on the Linux Mint 17.1/Cinnamon announcement comment thread (as Kirk M).

As far as Intel graphics are concerned, it looks more and more like this problem my be isolated to the GM965/GL960 chipset. Rather strange since this chipset in my old R61s have never had a problem before. Also, Linux Mint 16/Cinnamon on my second R61 with identical hardware does not exhibit this problem. So what is it about Linux Mint 17/17.1 (Cinnamon or MATE) that causes this problem?

I've manually installed the 3.11 Ubuntu mainline kernel which, I believe, is the kernel used in Linux Mint 16 and the problem still exists. The only thing I was unable to do was to try an older version of Mesa as I'm not sure how I would go about doing so.

I'll keep looking for a solution and report back here if I find anything. And if anyone else uncovers any more info on the problem, please let us know.
"Humph. Choice, it is the quintessential Linux delusion, simultaneously the source of it's greatest strength, and it's greatest weakness." (All apologies to The Architect)
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt »

Okay, on the crashing problem that’s been discussed here. It doesn’t appear to have anything to do with Linux Mint 17/17.1 but everything to do with the Ubuntu 14.04 base. I downloaded Ubuntu 14.04, brought it up in a live session and the same crashing problem exists when attempting to render certain sites in either Chrome or Firefox. I’m using http://www.google.com/chrome/ as a test site since it consistently causes the problem.

However, downloading Ubuntu 14.10 and bringing it up in a live session, the problem does not exist–’http://www.google.com/chrome/’ renders without a problem, no crashes.

What seems to be happening with the 14.04 base is unclear but it could be a GM965/GL960 GPU lock up or Cinnamon crashing due to some error the browser is causing or that the browser is crashing a certain way causing the display to disappear. I can’t pin it down but I did try a few things with Linux Mint 17.1 RC/Cinnamon on my R61 laptop.

Do not try this yourself unless you want to end up reloading Mint from scratch.

On Linux Mint 17.1 RC I downloaded and manually installed the 3.16.6 kernel (same kernel as in Ubuntu 14.10). Rebooted.

At this point, when attempting to render ‘http://www.google.com/chrome/’, Cinnamon crashes and restarts in software rendering mode. Cinnamon cannot be restarted. Logging out and back in Cinnamon immediately crashes and restarts in software rendering mode.

To further test, I then added the “ppa:oibaf/graphics-drivers” PPA which updates mesa, xorg-xserver-video-intel, linux-firmware among other related packages (levels 4 and 5 enabled in MintUpdate). I did this to bring any other video components up to date along-side the 3.16 kernel. It actually updates the above packages to newer version than found in 14.10 but I wasn’t worried about it that much as this was just an experiment.

Once everything was updated , I rebooted.

At this point in testing, there’s an occasional display glitch but most of the updated packages are development versions so it’s to be expected. However, when attempting to render ‘http://www.google.com/chrome/’ in Firefox for example, it’s Firefox that crashes and not Cinnamon. I still can’t find anything in the error logs yet.

In short, all this proves is that Linux Mint 16/Ubuntu 13.10 and Ubuntu 14.10 do not exhibit this problem. Ubuntu 14.04 and Linux Mint 17/17.1 does exhibit this problem.

Food for thought?
"Humph. Choice, it is the quintessential Linux delusion, simultaneously the source of it's greatest strength, and it's greatest weakness." (All apologies to The Architect)
SKS

Post by SKS »

Firefox crashes every now and then when answering a posting on some forums. Restart Firefox box comes, so I restart and good to go.
xox101
Level 3
Level 3

Post by xox101 »

I have a very similar problem. For me it seems to have something to do with either trying to get to the Google Chrome download page through Firefox or Chrome itself when trying to get to the Chrome add on store.

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 8&t=182415
Laugh2
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Laugh2 »

I installed LM17.1 RC Rebecca MATE and have experienced several types of crashes repeatedly:
  • 1. if hardware acceleration is activated Firefox crashes almost continually. Turning it off inside Firefox was the only work-around I could find.
    2. after suspending LM17.1 comes back ato life if turned woken soon - however, if left suspended for a while then keyboard and mouse freeze when awakened and a reboot is required. (Hibernation now works sometimes for me since the latest updates, but often this results in a crash with automatic reboot.)
    3. after the screen saver is automatically activated a log-in can cause the whole system to crash. Again, a reboot is required.
Perhaps trying Firefix without hardware accelaration will help your problem? (... if it is activated in your system ..)

My system
(Until about a week ago I was running LM13 Maya for over a year and all worked well)
  • Linux Mint 17.1 RC Rebecca, 64bit, MATE (LM17.1)
    Dell Latitude D630 laptop with 4MB RAM (Core2 Duo CPU)
    nVidia Quadro NVS 135M graphics
    Seagate Laptop Thin SSHD 500GB (hybrid HDD) (brand new)
    docking station
    dual booting with Windows Vista (installed fresh, came free with the laptop)
PS. the LM17.1 RC feedback blog at http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=2702&cpage ... ent-112934 is closed, so perhaps here is the best place to post descriptions of possible bugs?
Last edited by Laugh2 on Sat Dec 20, 2014 1:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt »

Laugh2 wrote:I installed LM17.1 RC Rebecca MATE and have experienced several types of crashes repeatedly:
  • 1. if hardware acceleration is activated Firefox crashes almost continually. Turning it off inside Firefox was the only work-around I could find....

Perhaps trying Firefix without hardware accelaration will help your problem? (... if it is activated in your system ..)

PS. the LM17.1 RC feedback blog at http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=2702&cpage ... ent-112934 is closed, so perhaps here is the best place to post descriptions of possible bugs?
By what I understand, the "Use hardware acceleration when available" in Firefox "Preferences" is a Windows Only type thing and is not desgned for nor comaptible with Linux based OSs. In fact, by what I've read recently, it's not even supposed to be enabled in Firefox for Linux at all. If enabled, it can cause all sorts of glitches but the type of hardware affectes whether these glitches are major or hardly there at all.

Personally, I always check to make sure it's disabled on a new install of any distro. Firefox performance doesn't suffer at all with it disabled.
Laugh2
Level 4
Level 4

Hardware acceleration Re: Cinnamon crashes on certain webpag

Post by Laugh2 »

Yes, you are correct i.e. hardware acceleration doesn't work reliably in Linux based on what I've read. There are also posts indicating that video quality is sometimes noticeably worse when using hardware accelaration e.g. blurring and loss of definition. And yes, recent versions of Firefox have it disabled by default. Does it make a difference? Indeed it doesn't seem to make a lot of difference to video processing speed in normal operation and when the CPU is not under load.

However, with laptops there may be advantages especially because CPU temperature is an issue under sustained load such as video processing:
  • 1. hardware acceleration helps spread the load between CPU and GPU, which in turns reduces the CPU temperature and slows the fan, which gets loud esp. when watching vidoes, TV, and movies. (It also increases battery useage.)
    2. the GPU can also run at higher temps, so there may well be a double gain in reducing laptop temperatures.
For laptop users especially I imagine hardware acceleration would be useful. More generally relieving a CPU when under load leaves it free for other tasks e.g. processing front-line user activities. (If OpenCL is in use then hardware accelaration is also an issue, but probably doesn't involve Firefox).

I've experimented with hardware acceleration on my laptop streaming TV and noticed the above advantages, but it was far too unstable to get quantitative comparisons done e.g. benchmark tests. I'm moving to using an old desktop for streaming TV and movies because of this when at home.

Currently when using Firefox my laptop has "GPU Accelerated Windows" disabled but "WebGL Renderer" enabled and it's running fine: I'm using Mint 17.1 RC 64 bit MATE and the Nouveau graphics driver. (This can be seen using "about:support" in Firefox.) Presumably the graphics hardware is helping the CPU a bit with this configuration even without full GPU acceleration? The nVidia drivers always disabled the WebGL Renderer as well, so I don't use them.
Last edited by Laugh2 on Fri Mar 20, 2015 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nvariant

Post by Nvariant »

I have been having the same problem as stated originally. It is directly related the google.com/chrome site. I think it may have something to do with the menu style or slider style they use.

I've narrowed the problem down to Intel 965 graphics chipset, Firefox, and Chrome browsers. I installed Opera and was able to load google.com/chrome although it took awhile.

It could have something to do with refresh rate, I've had problems with that before when I was using windows and tweaked the settings for certain games.

I know I left out a lot of detail but I'm a Linux newbie and I'm hoping this will help some of the more experienced out there get us a solution. I'm really loving the break away from MS.

Dell Latitude D830
Intel 965 chipset
Mint Cinnamon 17.1
Nvariant

Post by Nvariant »

Just wanted to give an update.

I searched around in the forums and found a lot of talk about disabliing the web gl.

Type "about:config" in the firefox search bar. Agree to break the warranty. Search for "webgl disabled" and make it true. (leave out the quotation marks of course)

I then went to google.com/chrome and loaded the page. No crash.

Worked for me so far but I've only done the one test.

Hope this helps someone else.
Laugh2
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Laugh2 »

Update
2 Months after my previous post ... a large, recent update batch for LM17.1 Rebecca included a much improved nVidia proprietary driver for my laptop (NVIDIA Driver Version: 331.113). It also enabled WebGL Rendering and Hardware Acceleration for my GPU. I wrote about it here:
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... on#p959270.
I certainly recommend this driver to anyone with hardware like mine (listed below).

Crashing on certain Web Pages
I looked at http://www.google.com/chrome and found that it increased the GPU graphics activity markedly and held it at around 85% using WebGL Rendering and Hardware Acceleration - this is a higher loading than streaming HD-TV. Perhaps there is too much processing for many computers if WebGL Rendering and/or Hardware Acceleration is not active?

Equipment
  • Linux Mint 17.1 Rebecca, 64bit, MATE
    Dell Latitude D630 laptop with 4MB RAM (Core2 Duo CPU)
    nVidia Quadro NVS 135M graphics (NVIDIA Driver Version: 331.113)
    Dell PR01X docking station
    (Note: My system is running MATE not Cinnamon, but this is probably not an issue in this context.)
Last edited by Laugh2 on Fri Apr 03, 2015 3:50 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Daniel Veazey

Post by Daniel Veazey »

I also have the Intel Corporation Mobile GM965/GL960 Integrated Graphics Controller (primary) (rev 0c) and I also experienced the screen crashes when visiting YouTube or google.com/chrome in both Firefox and Chrome. My workaround for now is this: I was able to get to google.com/chrome by using Opera, then after installing Chrome, I disabled the hardware acceleration in Chrome's advanced settings. This is not ideal, but I am no longer experiencing crashes. I do have noticeable tearing in YouTube videos now. I will keep watching for a bug fix.

Hope this helps,
Daniel
Daniel Veazey

Post by Daniel Veazey »

I upgraded my kernel to 3.16.0-31-generic and am able to turn hardware acceleration on in Chrome now, so that's good. To upgrade my kernel, I did this:

sudo apt-get install linux-image-3.16.0-31-generic linux-image-extra-3.16.0-31-generic
Then I restarted. Then I turned on hardware acceleration in Chrome, then restarted Chrome. I went to YouTube and did not experience a screen crash.
carl.childers

Post by carl.childers »

I downloaded the correct Google Chrome from a windows machine and installed it on my Linux Mint 17.1 machine. I have had no more crashes and I am waiting for the bug to be fixed by and update. It seems the chrome site and Linux Mint don't get along.
Laugh2
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Laugh2 »

Daniel,
I upgraded my kernel to 3.16.0-31-generic and am able to turn hardware acceleration on in Chrome now, so that's good. To upgrade my kernel, I ...
I am getting repeated crash/reboot problems with both Firefox and Chrome if hardware acceleration is enabled when using the mesa/nouveau graphics driver. My kernel is currently Linux 3.13.0-37.

Your successful experience updating the kernel to Linux 3.16.0-31-generic appears to have solved this problem for your system - do you think it likely that it will also enable to run hardware acceleration with an nVidia graphics card? (The mesa/nouveau driver appears to run the CPU cooler on my system than the nVidia driver, which does enable hardware acceleration.)

carl-childers,
I installed Chrome using the Software Manager and it works OK (except if hardware acceleration is forced on).

Equipment
refer my posting on 8 Feb 2015.
AUserInEssex

Post by AUserInEssex »

The kernel upgrade solution was not a solution for me, sadly; Chrome still crashes on the same pages. Interestingly enough, perhaps, Chrome itself stays open, and can even play videos; but Cinnamon crashes and will not restart until after a full reboot.

Mint 17.2 x64 CInnamon, on Dell D830 with Intel graphics.
AUserInEssex

Re: Cinnamon crashes on certain webpages [SOLVED]

Post by AUserInEssex »

To reply to my own post: I find that the following combination worked, i.e. fixed all the video and crash problems.

(1) Upgrading to the 3.19 kernel;
(2)

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:xorg-edgers/ppa
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
Then reboot.

Note: I found that, after doing this, if I did

sudo apt-get autoremove
it caused Cinnamon to crash unrecoverably. So don't do that, i.e. don't execute that - always somewhat dodgy - command.

Also, Intel says that one should downgrade the packages from xorg-edgers before doing any major upgrade to your system. I am not quite sure how to do that, but I think that on Mint 17.2 the 'Software Sources' program should allow one to do this.

Return to “Cinnamon”