Can't click on Cinnmon menu

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
branchcut
Level 1
Level 1

Can't click on Cinnmon menu

Post by branchcut »

Hi all,

I've decided to give Cinnamon a whirl after being a long time Xfce user. I'm using the Xfce version of Linux Mint 17.

I installed Cinnamon by doing a simple :

Code: Select all

aptitude install cinnamon
So I log out and log in, and Cinnamon starts up...but I can't do anything with it. Clicking on the menu has no effect, nor on any of the icons on the panel.

Not sure what I could have done wrong, or even where to begin tracking down the problem. Is there some stray configuration that I should clear out before I try this?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Desmond
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
caribriz

Re: Can't click on Cinnmon menu

Post by caribriz »

Hi,

I don't know if this is your problem ... but what you describe does happen if "Panel edit" mode is turned on.
(That is, you can't open the Menu and nothing happens when you click on any of the Panel Launchers.)

Right-click the panel to check if Panel edit mode is on - if so, turn it off and retry clicking the Menu and Panel Launchers.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

Hello, branchcut.

I think that installing the software package cinnamon alone (including its dependencies) may not be sufficient.
When I did the opposite of what you tried, added xfce to Mint 17 Cinnamon, I added mint-meta-xfce.
Therefore I assume the right thing to do is

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install mint-meta-cinnamon
HTH + kind regards,
Karl
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 762 days now.
Lifeline
branchcut
Level 1
Level 1

Post by branchcut »

Aha...the panel was indeed in edit mode. Switching that off fixed the problem. Not sure how it got into to that mode, but whatever. Thanks!

I also installed mint-meta-cinnamon, and got some extra themes, so that's good :-)

Return to “Cinnamon”