How to accelerate loading cinnamon desktop?

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jinchenxi

How to accelerate loading cinnamon desktop?

Post by jinchenxi »

Just like the title says, cinnamon desktop start up so slowly after login.

detailed description:
After inputing username and password, then I press Enter key,there is showing a black screen with cursor(about 10-15 seconds ),and finally the Cinnamon Desktop appears.

Does anybody know how to deal with this "bug"? Or how to optimize Cinnamon Desktop to start up faster? For example,modify Cinnamon source code,modify the configuration files,or update some software and so on...

Uh,by the way,maybe we can try to use a picture to replace the black screen when the Cinnamon start up.But how to realize it ?

Look forward to your help ::>_<::

(In addition,My system is "Linux Mint 17 Qiana (Cinnamon Edition)",and my display manager is MDM.)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
var
Level 3
Level 3

Re: How to accelerate loading cinnamon desktop?

Post by var »

It starts up as fast as your hardware will allow. Cinnamon isn't Xfce and won't appear instantly, it's heavier and things like the desklets and applets will take time to load.

SSD's help in this area, they can really make a difference as it is simply faster for the computer to access data on a non-spinning magnetic HDD. Boots are fast and loading up the desktop can be done in seconds, it's like night and day.
greenpin

Post by greenpin »

I've got a really fast, new computer with SSD drives, and my login time to desktop display is pretty darn slow, too (10-15 seconds). I agree that the black screen and mouse cursor only lasts entirely too long.

As a comparison... I can boot Windows 7, login, and launch my first application inside a Virtualbox guest within 15-20 seconds... on the same computer.
jinchenxi

Post by jinchenxi »

var wrote:It starts up as fast as your hardware will allow. Cinnamon isn't Xfce and won't appear instantly, it's heavier and things like the desklets and applets will take time to load.

SSD's help in this area, they can really make a difference as it is simply faster for the computer to access data on a non-spinning magnetic HDD. Boots are fast and loading up the desktop can be done in seconds, it's like night and day.
In fact,my Hard disk is SSD. But it also slowly when login into desktop...
The most important thing is that I consider using a picture or "splash" instead of black screen before cinnamon desktop appears.(just like Ubuntu or Windows 7)
jinchenxi

Post by jinchenxi »

greenpin wrote:I've got a really fast, new computer with SSD drives, and my login time to desktop display is pretty darn slow, too (10-15 seconds). I agree that the black screen and mouse cursor only lasts entirely too long.

As a comparison... I can boot Windows 7, login, and launch my first application inside a Virtualbox guest within 15-20 seconds... on the same computer.
Just like I reply to "var",mybe "10-15s" isn't too long .But the most important thing is that there is black screen between login dialog and cinnamon desktop,this is a not good user experience .So ,I consider if there are some methods to replace the black screen by a picture or a "spalsh"?I will try to optimize it and reduce the time...If I have some solutions,I will write here...

Return to “Cinnamon”