Lock Screen not unlocking anymore

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
tiredofit

Lock Screen not unlocking anymore

Post by tiredofit »

Hello. First time poster here, but well versed in Linux, more so in the shell than a DE. In August enough was enough and I moved over to a shiny new Mint 17 install and am loving it. I wasn't quite sure of where it was going to go, and did some things to the install that bothered me for a few months, so I wiped my machine, recreated an encrypted LUKS/LVM setup and moved to btrfs. I rsynced all of my old files short of /boot and some files in /etc.

Everything seems to be moving at a great pace except for that when my machine idles or the lid gets shut on the unit, cinnamon-screensaver-command -l as well, ithe cinnamon lock screen doesn't want to accept my password. I've tried changing my password a few times with no success, but oddly enough if I select "switch user" I can log back into my old session
Can anyone shed light onto why this would be happening?

LM17 w/Cinnamon 2.2
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Vincent3

Re: Lock Screen not unlocking anymore

Post by Vincent3 »

I've had 17 Cinnamon installed for only a day and had almost the same issue - except that the screen lock asks for a password for users who don't have a password (I tried the admin password, using the user name as password, and leaving it blank, none of which works). Switching user is the only workaround I've found.

Is disabling the screen lock an option for you?
tiredofit

[SOLVED] Lock Screen not unlocking anymore

Post by tiredofit »

Sorry, I've been meaning to posted this has been solved. Somewhere along the lines my permissions got all strange in /etc.

Code: Select all

sudo chgrp shadow shadow 
Did the trick.

Mods - Can you lighten up the Spam filtering? I'm in Zambia and all the mobile dongle IP Blocks are coming up as a spam source so I cant properly post in the forums, yet have to bounce through a couple IPs. Incredibly frustrating with the speeds here..

Return to “Cinnamon”