Black screen with cursor

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Hyena

Black screen with cursor

Post by Hyena »

My sister's Linux Mint 17 with NVIDIA video card just broke and I have to instruct her remotely in text. At one day sound was not working so she tried to fix it by uninstalling something and reinstalling it. After restart the screen was all (black?) and only a cursor could be seen.

I asked her to ctrl+alt+f2 and execute these commands:
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade

> Didn't fix the issue.

Asked to do this: sudo apt-get install --fix-missing
> Nothing.

Asked to do this: sudo apt-get install gnome-shell
> Nothing.

Asked her to write this: startx
> She reports some screen blinking and restart-sort-of-thing that ends with black screen and cursor.

Asked to write this: cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log

Here's some more photos she made:

At that point I ran out of ideas. These days it sucks to be Linux user. I can't believe they haven't developed some automated fallback or recovery method yet, it's about time. Even Windows has safe mode.

edit:
images are now shown in this post directly.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Petro Dawg

Re: Black screen with cursor

Post by Petro Dawg »

Hyena wrote:At that point I ran out of ideas. These days it sucks to be Linux user. I can't believe they haven't developed some automated fallback or recovery method yet, it's about time. Even Windows has safe mode.
Hold down shift during boot. When grub comes up, select the second option, which should have "recovery mode" on the end of it. Then select the first option, which is "boot normally" (I think). That should boot into Mint without utilizing hardware acceleration.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=byArWCIGjrI
Hyena wrote: By the way, the rules of this forum are weird:
Your images may only be up to 240 pixels high.
Your images may only be up to 320 pixels wide.

My images are 640x480. Come one, they are already very small and yet I am not allowed to post these.
Just use photobucket and link to it to your post using the "IMG thumb" link code.

Return to “Cinnamon”