Easier transition for a windows user ?

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
HusseinMoussa

Easier transition for a windows user ?

Post by HusseinMoussa »

Hi,
As far as my knowledge goes; MATE, Cinnamon, KDE, and xfce are GUI and/or Desktop Interface/Environment for the system. And by time I learned that certain programs work on one type of GUI and/or Desktop Environment but not the other, or at least works funnily. (Please correct me if I'm wrong)

Regardless of the technical expressions and all the complications;

My simple question is as follows:

What could be the most comfortable Desktop Environment for a windows user to use to feel at home; regarding the alternative apps availability ?

In other words:

Which is richer with apps and programs that a windows user would find it easy and comfortable to use and face the least troubles?

I hope my English isn't so weird :)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Easier transition for a windows user ?

Post by Pierre »

in the Mint O/S it used to be suggested to use the Main Edition - which used gnome2 as it's DE.

today - the equivalent of that - would be the Mate DE.
- it's also somewhat similar to the format that winXP was using. ..
& is what most windows users would be the most familiar with.

once a N00B is familiar with that DE - then they could stretch further afield by installing other DEs
- all without having to install any other O/Ss.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
Exodus_life
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Exodus_life »

I've been running linux 17 MATE for about a week now,,yea i am really a noob

but when i was reading up on the different versions and such on the website ,i remember reading they said : if you are not sure which version would suite you best ? MATE isthe one to go with so i did

and it does feel familiar to me .
vl1969

Post by vl1969 »

I don't know, I use cinnamon and very happy with it. If your hardware can handle it, I would go with it.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk
Neil Edmond
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Neil Edmond »

HusseinMoussa wrote:What could be the most comfortable Desktop Environment for a windows user to use to feel at home; regarding the alternative apps availability ?
Rather asking what other people think...wouldn't it be better to try each one yourself, and see which you are most comfortable with?
HusseinMoussa wrote:Which is richer with apps and programs that a windows user would find it easy and comfortable to use and face the least troubles?
All the apps in the repository are available to use on any of the Desktop Environments, so no worries there. Each one does sually come packaged with certain apps pre-installed, but you don't have to leave it that way. Most notably, I think, would be file managers. Each DE has it's own file manager (but you can mix-n-match DEs with file managers). And while they all do basically the same things, there are slight differences in each one. The basic functions of each are similar enough with Windows Explorer, that someone coming in from Windows should be able to find there way around about as quickly as someone moving from, say Windows XP to 7. The differences between those two Windows systems are as great, if not greater, than the differences between DEs and file managers for Linux.
HusseinMoussa

Post by HusseinMoussa »

Absolutely thankful for your replies, guys :)

Finally, a constructive conversation and feedback. I love mint community! :D
lewtwo
Level 4
Level 4

Post by lewtwo »

Neil Edmond wrote:...someone coming in from Windows should be able to find there way around about as quickly as someone moving from, say Windows XP to 7. The differences between those two Windows systems are as great, if not greater, than the differences between DEs and file managers for Linux.
Possibly one of the biggest reasons Linux is gaining in popularity.
People do NOT like having to relearn how to do things that they are already familiar with.
People sometime compare the evolution of Computers to that of Automobiles.
Can you imagine what would happen if various Automobile Manufacturers all decide they had to have a different user interface:
1) Ford uses a steering wheel and pedals
2) GM goes for a Steering lever and push buttons
3) Toyota comes up with something completely different because of fears over copyright infringements.
4) Every model year each manufacturer rearranges the controls.
"Engineering is the art of planning and forethought."
http://www.keywild.com
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

Hello fellow Mintian,
Welcome to freedom and choice.
I have found something to like in each Mint desktop environment.
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
acerimusdux
Level 5
Level 5

Post by acerimusdux »

I'm personally liking KDE right now, but I would still recommend starting with the MATE edition. Mainly because it has the slickest (and easist to use and customize) menu system. Somehow most everything just works with MATE, you have all the panel applets you would expect, the configuration options are well laid out in control center, the desktop intergrated with a decent file manager. Less bells and whistles, less cutting edge graphics, but still a little more mature overall platform than Cinnamon or even KDE.

Return to “Cinnamon”