disk monitoring with multicore-system-monitor

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
dhdurgee
Level 4
Level 4

disk monitoring with multicore-system-monitor

Post by dhdurgee »

Given the "fun" I have been having on occasion with runaway error logging, I decided to enable the disk monitoring on the multicore-system-monitor applet. This appears to be working, but it is only showing my root file system. Bringing up the preferences allows me to enable or disable disk monitoring, but I see no way to add a device there. The README that comes with the applet talks about editing prefs.json to make changes to colors, so I assume that I might be able to add devices there. Unfortunately I must not be doing it right, as when I attempt to do so it is ignored and removed when the file is saved from the preferences dialog.

My original file is:

Code: Select all

{"labelsOn":true,"refreshRate":500,"height":21,"backgroundColor":[1,1,1,0.1],"cpu":{"enabled":true,"width":40,"colors":[[1,1,1,1],[1,1,1,1],[1,1,1,1],[1,1,1,1]]},"mem":{"enabled":true,"width":40,"colors":[[1,1,1,1],[0.6,0.6,0.6,0.8],[0.8,0.8,0.8,0.8],[0.9,0.9,0.9,0.1]],"swapcolors":[[1,1,1,0.15]]},"net":{"enabled":true,"autoscale":false,"width":40,"devices":{"eth0":{"enabled":true,"colors":[[1,1,1,0.8],[0,0,0,0.6]]},"wlan0":{"enabled":true,"colors":[[1,1,1,0.8],[0,0,0,0.6]]}}},"disk":{"enabled":true,"width":40,"devices":{"/":{"enabled":true,"colors":[[1,1,1,1],[0.6,0.6,0.6,0.8]]}}}}
I edited it to:

Code: Select all

{"labelsOn":true,"refreshRate":500,"height":21,"backgroundColor":[1,1,1,0.1],"cpu":{"enabled":true,"width":40,"colors":[[1,1,1,1],[1,1,1,1],[1,1,1,1],[1,1,1,1]]},"mem":{"enabled":true,"width":40,"colors":[[1,1,1,1],[0.6,0.6,0.6,0.8],[0.8,0.8,0.8,0.8],[0.9,0.9,0.9,0.1]],"swapcolors":[[1,1,1,0.15]]},"net":{"enabled":true,"autoscale":false,"width":40,"devices":{"eth0":{"enabled":true,"colors":[[1,1,1,0.8],[0,0,0,0.6]]},"wlan0":{"enabled":true,"colors":[[1,1,1,0.8],[0,0,0,0.6]]}}},"disk":{"enabled":true,"width":40,"devices":{"/":{"enabled":true,"colors":[[1,1,1,1],[0.6,0.6,0.6,0.8]]},"/perm":{"enabled":true,"colors":[[1,1,1,1],[0.6,0.6,0.6,0.8]]}}}}
To my understanding this is what should be done, but it does not work. Anyone get this working and have an example?

Dave
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
DrHu

Re: disk monitoring with multicore-system-monitor

Post by DrHu »

That is what I can grab right now..
http://cinnamon-spices.linuxmint.com/applets/view/79
--maybe the author can assist..
dhdurgee
Level 4
Level 4

Post by dhdurgee »

DrHu wrote:That is what I can grab right now..
http://cinnamon-spices.linuxmint.com/applets/view/79
--maybe the author can assist..
That may be possible, but looking at the comments section there shows he has not posted for over a year. Clicking on his username shows his Last login: 2014-06-16 20:05:26 and I see no email link in the profile to contact him elsewhere.

If someone here has an email address for him I would be interested in contacting him, but he might be too busy to respond.

Dave
dhdurgee
Level 4
Level 4

Post by dhdurgee »

Given the lack of response here and no posts by the author to the applet link above for over a year I decided to do a bit more research myself. I located the installed applet in ~/.local/share/cinnamon/applets/multicore-sys-monitor@ccadeptic23 and inspected some of the code. I have never programmed an applet, but searching through the code I find the following in DataProviders.js:

getDiskDevices: function()
{
var volumeMonitor = Gio.VolumeMonitor.get();
var mounts = volumeMonitor.get_mounts();
mountedDirList = [];
mountedDirList.push("/"); //always here
//Disable finding other drives forrrrrrrr
//for(var i = 0; i < mounts.length; i++)
//{
// //mountname = mounts.get_name();
// var mountroot = mounts.get_root();
// var mountdir = mountroot.get_parse_name();
//
// //global.logError("mountroot: "+mountroot+" mountname: "+mountname+" on "+mountdir);
// mountedDirList.push(mountdir);
//}
return mountedDirList;
}

So it appears from this that there is NO support for monitoring any drive but the root in the current release. I assume there was a reason for commenting this code out, perhaps because it does not restrict itself to local drives but enumerates all mounted drives. I guess I could test this by adding a mount manually in the code and restarting the applet, but perhaps someone else would have a proper fix for the code to offer.

Dave

Return to “Cinnamon”