Hiding users on MDM Login Greeter

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
TrapperB
Level 1
Level 1

Hiding users on MDM Login Greeter

Post by TrapperB »

Hi all.

How does one hide the users on the MDM Login Greeter?

I used to hide the users by putting "greeter-hide-users=true" in mdm.conf. I'm not really sure when this stopped working. I've seen responses to this question suggesting to de-select the "Automatically select the last logged in user". I've tried this and it does require me to type in the user, but the Greeter still shows all the users on the system. I use PBISO in our dev shop. It's a small shop, but it still means I have several dozen "users" on the system that show up on the Greeter.

Is there any documentation for what configuration options there are for mdm.conf?

FYI, I'm on LM17 & Cinnamon 2.2

Thanks!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Re: Hiding users on MDM Login Greeter

Post by karlchen »

Hello, TrapperB.

The simplest way of achieving your goal may be this:
  • Execute the command

Code: Select all

sudo mdmsetup
  • In the "Themes" tab switch the style to "GDM".
  • Select a logon screen from the list the name of which does not have the suffix "-Userlist".
HTH,
Karl
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 762 days now.
Lifeline
TrapperB
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Hiding users on MDM Login Greeter

Post by TrapperB »

Thanks Karl.

Well, I suppose that would cease displaying users on the greeter. However, that's a bit a a throw-the-baby-out-with-the-bathwater solution. :-)

More to my point, that disabling the userlist used to be possible by placing "greeter-hide-users=true" in the mdm.conf. Not sure when it stopped working, because frankly, I rarely reboot my system or log out.

If it turns out that this is just not possible anymore then I can adopt your solution or even create my own greeter which doesn't display the users.

Anyone else with a possible solution?

-Travis

Return to “Cinnamon”