New install Cinnamon crashing, no networkin

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
thevillagegeek

New install Cinnamon crashing, no networkin

Post by thevillagegeek »

I am having a major problem on an HP 620 notebook purchased new in 2011. I did a fresh install of LM 17 with Cinnamon less than two weeks ago, alongside an existing Windows 7. It worked fine for several days, until I encountered a grub error yesterday that prevented either OS from booting. I fixed that with a reinstall of grub 2 using a live DVD, but now Cinnamon crashes repeatedly, recovery mode does not start, and I have no networking. I'm downloading the Mate version of Mint 17 and will switch over. I liked Cinnamon, and it ran fine until today, so a fix short of a fresh installation is preferred. Suggestions, other than switching desktops and a fresh install? I will also have to do a new install on a Lenovo as well.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Kalyk
Level 5
Level 5

Re: New install Cinnamon crashing, no networkin

Post by Kalyk »

Hello and welcome to this forum!!

It sounds as quite a strange problem, I really never had Grub go bad on me.
Did you install anything strange under Mint or did you do some startup-stuff under Windows?
A grub-problem is no reason to abandon Cinnamon for Mate, though Mate and Cinnamon both have their own advantages.
At least I wouldn't worry about installing it on another computer.
If repairing grub didn't work well then you might have to try reinstalling Cinnamon in the same partition.
But you might look inside this forum for the right way to reinstall grub from inside the installed Cinnamon and see if that solves your problems.
Add (Solved) to the topic-title of the first post when appropriate so others know they might find a solution here.

Return to “Cinnamon”