Cinnamon crashes on boot

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
yogurt

Cinnamon crashes on boot

Post by yogurt »

Hi All

I have an older computer, a P3, dual 800MHZ CPU, maxed out at 1 Gig ram with a older radeon 9200 graphics card and a 75 Gig SCSI harddrive. I have been using Mint for years, I think since Mint 4 at least. I prefer KDE, but with only 1 Gig ram, and KDE requiring 2 Gig I thought I'd try Cinnamon. I had been using KDE Mint 12 previously to installing 17. On booting the DVD I got the following message: "Cinnamon Just Crashed, you are currently running in fallback mode." And it has a button to restart Cinnamon. No matter how often I restart Cinnamon I get the same message. I went ahead and installed Cinnamon with the same result. I went to the Mint upgrade app and saw an upgrade for Cinnamon so I upgraded. I still have the same problem. Everything seems to be working in "fallback mode" although it is a pain to log out. At this point I am not even sure where to look for the problem.

Any ideas, suggestions, etc?

Thanks

I love Mint!

Randy
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Cinnamon crashes on boot

Post by jimallyn »

You might check in the Driver Manager and see if there is a different video driver suggested for your system.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
Monsta
Level 10
Level 10

Re: Cinnamon crashes on boot

Post by Monsta »

Running Cinnamon on an 11 years old video card won't do you any good. Use MATE or Xfce editions of Mint.

Return to “Cinnamon”