workspace switching problem

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
slovelace

workspace switching problem

Post by slovelace »

I have gimp open in workspace 1, and it has a couple of auxiliary windows open. I want to move it to workspace 2, so I open the workspace view via the hot corner, slide gimp's window over, and click on workspace 2. The auxiliary windows aren't there--or so it seems. I can materialize them by showing and unshowing the desktop (hotcorner or toolbar icon). This is a minor nuisance but probably should be fixed.

What I would really like is the switcher applet that was available in Ubuntu. Instead of numerals, it represented open windows, and switching was just a matter of dragging those windows in the applet. Very slick.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
cwsnyder

Re: workspace switching problem

Post by cwsnyder »

AFAIK, Gimp doesn't support auxiliary windows opened in an alternative workspace. This is more likely to be the problem.
simonbrown

Re: workspace switching problem

Post by simonbrown »

There are four ways of moving an application that I am aware of. 1) Drag it, and then use the arrow keys when the tiling effect pops up 2) right click on the icon of the running application in the panel (centre), and choose the option to move workspace 3) Use the key combo to shift it, on my computer it is alt+ctrl+shift+arrow key. 4) Trigger Expo mode, and drag the application to a new workspace. When you get used to the key combos, these are the fastest method in my experience. Look at your keyboard settings to see how the workspace movement keys are set up for you.

What you say you were used to in Ubuntu sounds most like what you can do in Expo. There are applets to launch expo from the panel which you might want to explore, and there are shortcut keys as well. alt+ctrl+up in my case. Hot corners never do it for me personally, but some like them no doubt.

Return to “Cinnamon”