importing Mint desktop backgrounds to other Linux OSs?

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ngant17

importing Mint desktop backgrounds to other Linux OSs?

Post by ngant17 »

I really love the awesome artwork in the Linux Mint desktop backgound/wallpaper. It's based on Ubuntu, so would it be possible to important them into another Linus OS like Ubuntu 14.04 LTS? I especially enjoy Azenos do Mar and the Hawaiian paintings!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: importing Mint desktop backgrounds to other Linux OSs?

Post by xenopeek »

You can check under what license the backgrounds of each artist have been included with Linux Mint in the file /usr/share/backgrounds/linuxmint-qiana/Credits that you'll find on your filesystem. So note who the author of those backgrounds is, look in the file and follow the link to the license for that artist's work and see what the license permits you to do.
ngant17

Re: importing Mint desktop backgrounds to other Linux OSs?

Post by ngant17 »

Got it, I finally am getting the directory structure in my head. Mint would use: /usr/share/backgrounds/linuxmint-qiana

I think the reason "Azenhas do Mar" looks so good is its panoramic view of the cliffs and Atlantic sea. It also happens to be the biggest jpg in the bunch, and I think the key to getting really good backgrounds is panorama and large jpeg sizes, like 5216x3472. Haven't seen many jpgs with those dimensions.

Return to “Cinnamon”