New windows start maximised but contents are invisible

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
oddhack

New windows start maximised but contents are invisible

Post by oddhack »

Hi
I have a problem with Cinnamon.

Many new windows start out maximised, but are completely invisible. I can see the window in the Window list on my panel. The window appears to be "there" - raised - because it is still receiving my mouse clicks or other activity. What I see is the next window below, but this does not respond to my clicking. The new window is raised, but invisible!

When I press Ctrl-F12 (my shortcut for toggle maximise) the new window appears in normal (non-maximised) mode. When I press Ctrl-F12 again, it returns to being maximised, but this time the window contents are back to being completely and normally visible. The window will also respond to for example Ctrl-F4 to close. It's weird.

I have Cinnamon 2.2.16.
I had the Cinnamon Maximus extension installed and this may have perhaps initially caused the problem, but I have removed the extension and the problem persists.

Code: Select all

$ inxi -GMS
System:    Host: z570 Kernel: 3.17.0-031700-generic x86_64 (64 bit) Desktop: Gnome Distro: Linux Mint 17 Qiana
Machine:   System: LENOVO product: 102453G version: Ideapad Z570
           Mobo: LENOVO model: Emerald Lake version: FAB1 Bios: LENOVO version: 45CN38WW date: 10/21/2011
Graphics:  Card: Intel 2nd Generation Core Processor Family Integrated Graphics Controller 
           X.Org: 1.15.1 driver: intel Resolution: 1366x768@60.0hz 
           GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel Sandybridge Mobile GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 10.1.3
Thanks for any ideas how I can stop this behaviour.
Francis
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
oddhack

Re: New windows start maximised but contents are invisible

Post by oddhack »

Thank you Anand.
These seem to be similar issues but after I disable desktop effects, the problem remains.
May I emphasise that the invisibility/transparency issue only occurs when launching a new window.
And it doesn't happen every time.

See my screencast here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4zEB18hZGs
anandrkris

Post by anandrkris »

Oh..Ok...Perhaps you could share it on github to get developers visibility... (Am just another user :) )
Orcrist

Post by Orcrist »

Hi, I'm new here so hope this is the correct way of doing things.

I have run Linux Mint 18 Cinnamon 64bit for a few months now on my main PC with no issues so I installed it a couple of days ago on my other PC and I had the problem mentioned here.
All windows become invisible when maximised, they are there as I can left click on them and see the relevant menu to that program and when I click unmaximise on the panel it becomes visible again.
I just formated the disk and reinstalled, ran update and still have this same problem.

Any ideas, I have googled and searche the forum but can't find anything that fixes this.

Thanks
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

Orcrist, it is usually better to start a new thread in the appropriate forums section than to add on to a thread that hasn't been touched in 2 years.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
Orcrist

Post by Orcrist »

OK, thanks. I'll do that next time.
oddhack

Post by oddhack »

I never did find a fix for this, but upgrade/reinstall made it disappear as I recall so I haven't worried about it since.
Orcrist

Post by Orcrist »

Thanks oddhack,
I tried that but it still does it. Even the Install image, when loaded on 4GB USB does it and yet I have been using the same version on my Main PC for 2 or 3 months with no problems.

Linux Mint Cinnamon is installed on a 240GB SSD
I upgraded from 2GB to 16GB RAM which didn't fix it.
I'm thinking of upgradeing the graphics card as it is pretty old, an AMD Radeon X300.
Can't think of anything else to try.
oddhack

Post by oddhack »

If the install image does it, that's pretty weird. Symptoms you've described don't make sense as a graphics card problem though.
You're definitely not working with old .conf files carried over in your $HOME (creating a completely clean new user doesn't fix it)??
Orcrist

Post by Orcrist »

Your right oddhack about the graphics card but I'm just clutching at straws now as I am not that familiar with Linux yet and have tried evrything else I can think of.
What is strange is that the install on my main PC from the same disc works fine, which is what leads me to suspect it could be hardware related although that seems a bit weird.
the graphics card is pretty old anyway so an upgrade won't hurt.
Orcrist

Post by Orcrist »

Well, I upgraded to an awesomely powerful state of the art Gigabyte Geforce GT 710 graphics card and it has fixed the problem.
First boot up and all working normally.
Don't know why, don't know how, don't care. It Works!!!!!
Seems a bit strange but there you go.

Thanks for your help oddhack.
oddhack

Post by oddhack »

Excellent news! Enjoy!

Return to “Cinnamon”