Mint 17 - MDM/Cinnamon only starts in recovery mode

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
li4lmf
Level 1
Level 1

Mint 17 - MDM/Cinnamon only starts in recovery mode

Post by li4lmf »

Strange thing happening; MDM/Cinnamon does not start using the default boot, but works just fine when I boot in recovery mode. This started happening in my laptop (HP ZBook17) last week. Now it is happening in my desktop, shortly after (but not right after) I upgraded the motherboard/CPU.

When booting in regular (default) mode It comes up to the point that I see the LM graphic symbol, then the screen goes black except for what looks like a non-blinking cursor in the upper left-hand corner of the screen. At that point the system does not respond to any input from mouse or keyboard. If I ping the desktop from my laptop, the pings sometimes come back and sometimes do not. I am unable to ssh into the system; connection refused.

When booting in recovery mode I come to the recovery dialog and immediately hit enter twice (one for Resume and once to acknowledge the "You are going to resume booting" dialog) It then completes the boot and MDM comes on the screen. I can then login and everything works; no problems. Works this same way in my laptop.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated as I am stumped at this point.
Thank you
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
acerimusdux
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Mint 17 - MDM/Cinnamon only starts in recovery mode

Post by acerimusdux »

See if you can find something in the logs. Try:

Code: Select all

sudo cat /var/log/syslog

sudo cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log

Return to “Cinnamon”