Desktop Font Question

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ontarioca

Desktop Font Question

Post by ontarioca »

I have looked high and low for an answer to this question and I thought I had come close a couple of times, but still no luck.

I would like to change the font of the folders on my desktop to white so I can see them against a dark background. As it is right now the letters are blackish-grey and when the wallpaper is dark I can;t see anything. I've been to usr/share/theme/ambience/apps/gtk3.0/nautilus and tried to paste in a few commands I've found online, but nothing has worked. White is #ffffff.

I have tried using the GNOME Color Chooser and the Tweak Tool as well.

I am currently running Ubuntu 14.04, Cinnamon 2.2.16, Linux Kernal 3.13.0-37

Is this a Nemo versus Nautilus thing? I upgraded from Ubuntu 12.04 so I think I should have Nautilus as the file manager.

I really thought this would be an easy thing to do :/

Thanks for any help or suggestions.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
ontarioca

Re: Desktop Font Question

Post by ontarioca »

Or as an alternative can anyone suggest a theme which has white fonts for folders on the desktop? Every theme I've tried keeps the fonts that same dark colour.

Thanks again for any suggestions.
LesStrater

Post by LesStrater »

Not white, but the standard "Linux Mint" theme has very light gray text on a dark background.
caribriz

Post by caribriz »

Have you tried this - scroll down to Zorba's tip 2 -

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=61&t=165545

Create the nemo.css file
Edit gtk-main.css to reference the nemo.css file

Logout/in.

:?:
ontarioca

Post by ontarioca »

I tried the instructions from Zorba's post without any luck. Perhaps I did something wrong so I'll try it again. Can anyone confirm if using Adobe Dreamweaver is the best way to go to make a .css file? Or can I simply use Gedit and save that file and insert it in the proper place and change the other file to make it recognize the .css file?

Thanks.
caribriz

Post by caribriz »

ontarioca wrote:I tried the instructions from Zorba's post without any luck. Perhaps I did something wrong so I'll try it again. Can anyone confirm if using Adobe Dreamweaver is the best way to go to make a .css file? Or can I simply use Gedit and save that file and insert it in the proper place and change the other file to make it recognize the .css file?
Sorry, I don't know what else to try.

You can use gedit to save the file as .css.
ontarioca

Post by ontarioca »

Thanks Caribriz, I appreciate your effort and assistance.

Return to “Cinnamon”