Order of Nemo actions in context menu?

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
dg1727

Order of Nemo actions in context menu?

Post by dg1727 »

Hello,

What determines the order in which Nemo actions are listed in the context menu?

I've defined 2 actions which I'd like to appear in a certain order. They work correctly except that they appear in the other order.

I thought the filenames of the actions (in /usr/share/nemo/actions) would determine the menu order alphabetically, but apparently not. The actions don't seem to be listed in reverse alphabetical order by filename, either. Nor in alphabetical or reverse alphabetical order by the Name field (the text of the menu entry itself).

Is there documentation on the Web that would answer this?

I'm using an old unsupported version of Nemo, but I'll be satisfied with the answer for the current version. (If this functionality in my version has a bug [or missing feature :-] that's since been fixed, I can live with it.)

I browsed the source code on github a little bit, but I had trouble finding this answer.

Thanks for replies.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Kalyk
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Order of Nemo actions in context menu?

Post by Kalyk »

Hello and welcome to this forum!!

Can it be the order in which the exist in /usr/share/nemo/actions?
Because when I look at /usr/share/mime/application/nemo-action.xml I see they are discovered automagically and I think it ought to be put in that order then.
Add (Solved) to the topic-title of the first post when appropriate so others know they might find a solution here.
ptr

Post by ptr »

A little late, but I had the same problem.
I managed to solve it, after a lot of tries, but I am not sure how :? First of all, it seems to me that the order depends on modification time of the .nemo_action files (newest first). It also seems that those files must be edited while nemo is stopped (nemo -q in the terminal) and it should be restarted after you're finished editing and saving. But I am not sure about these and I am definitely not willing to further test it, I don't want to mess it up again! :lol:
bernd.wechner
Level 3
Level 3

Post by bernd.wechner »

I'd like to know th answer to this too. And it does not seem to relate to the mod times on the nemo_action files on my system. I do wish this were documented clearly somewhere.

Return to “Cinnamon”