Clock doesn't work/refresh time

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
CROSP

Clock doesn't work/refresh time

Post by CROSP »

The problem is following. There is applet calendar in cinnamon that displays time at the bottom of the screen. But in my case it doesn't seem to work. There no time at all, only little space as shown on the screenshot. I have tried to use different formats in setting, while changing time format time appears but doesn't refresh at all.
Please help me with this problem .
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
LesStrater

Re: Clock doesn't work/refresh time

Post by LesStrater »

Try this web site to make sure you have the format absolutely correct:
http://www.foragoodstrftime.com
CROSP

Post by CROSP »

I have tried this already , but nothing helps , it shows current time if I change format and than stuck, doesn't refresh time .
kyphi
Level 9
Level 9

Post by kyphi »

Another user had the same problem recently http://forum.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=177906 and the remedy that was used then was a fresh install. You could try some of the suggestions from that post.

One approach that was not tried is to remove the calendar applet, log out and then back in and reinstate the applet. If that does not work, remove the calendar applet and install in its place the "World Clock Calendar" by SimonWiles.
Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon
testito

Post by testito »

I'm having the same issue as well. I've searched the entire forum and tried everything listed except a fresh install. I'm worried that after the entire re-install process that I'll finally get back in Cinnamon and it still won't work. I really like Cinnamon and don't want to go back to Mate or anything else.

Does anyone please have any other suggestions?
LesStrater

Post by LesStrater »

My clock froze on me once when I failed to enter the custom date format correctly. Try entering "%I:%M %p" (without the quotes) and see if you get the basic 12-hour clock to run.

And before I re-installed my entire system, I'd first try a few different themes. The clock/calendar is an applet which is effected by the theme you are running.
If changing the theme doesn't help, remove the Calendar applet from the panel, then go to Cinnamon Spices and see if switching to the "World Clock Calendar" applet fixes the problem:
http://cinnamon-spices.linuxmint.com/applets
acerimusdux
Level 5
Level 5

Post by acerimusdux »

Well very likely the problem is just with the applet. But just to be sure, you could open a terminal and type "date" and see your system time is working properly.

Then, the thing to do is check .xsession-errors in your home directory. That might give a clue where the error is coming from. Maybe even try changing your Cinnamon theme. Try a couple of different themes, see if the clock works in one.

Most likely though it's a problem specific to that app.
testito

Post by testito »

System date works fine and in a lot of other places like the desktop time applet. I tried looking at .xession-errors and it looks like I didn't have the file, I created it in my home directory in the hopes it would fill with errors and no luck. I tried other themes and this happens with the default cinnamon theme as well. Changing the custom date format didn't have an effect. Also tried the world clock applet and no luck either. I even removed cinnamon through package manager and re-installed it after deleting the calendar applet folder and all it did was re-add it in its current broken condition.

I think the last option is a full system re-install. I wonder if I'm just missing a package that is vital for the panel that I accidentally removed or something. I appreciate the suggestions though and when I am able to make some time to do a full re-install I'll let you guys know if that resolved it (I'm feeling sure it will.)
acerimusdux
Level 5
Level 5

Post by acerimusdux »

Just open a terminal, and cut and paste this command into it:

Code: Select all

cat ~/.xsession-errors|tail -300
I think you do have the file, you just didn't find it. There will probably be lots of unrelated errors as well, but maybe we'll find something there.
testito

Post by testito »

acerimusdux wrote:Just open a terminal, and cut and paste this command into it:

Code: Select all

cat ~/.xsession-errors|tail -300
I think you do have the file, you just didn't find it. There will probably be lots of unrelated errors as well, but maybe we'll find something there.
That's where I checked before and it wasn't there. I went ahead and manually created though in hopes that now it will start logging something but upon booting tonight still nothing. :(

Return to “Cinnamon”