Lost Super and Compose Key

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Stubor
Level 1
Level 1

Lost Super and Compose Key

Post by Stubor »

Novice here using Linux Mint 17 Cinnamon.

I was attempting to set the third tier key when I noticed that the Super/Win key no longer functioned, nor did the compose key (menu). I fiddled with the settings for keyboard>keyboard layouts>options and finally just cleared all the settings. I used dconf to default the xkb-options for Cinnamon and Gnome, and reset the keyboard to English-International; no joy though. Any ideas how to un-fubar this? :oops:
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Stubor
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Lost Super and Compose Key

Post by Stubor »

Okay, the Super key error is resolved. Somehow I deleted to mapping which just needed restoring. The compose key still does not work however. :|
myrkat
Level 2
Level 2

Post by myrkat »

I am running Mint 17 KDE, and have not had any functionality with my super key (though, I have not looked to set it to anything); however, I do map my compose key (to scroll lock) and find that it only works in a select few applications (note plasmoid widget, dolphin file manager, kate, etc) and most do not work at all (browsers, LibreOffice, Skype, etc).

It is frustrating to no end, and am wondering if it is something Mint 17 did with a setting file somewhere.
Main Comp: i7-4770K @ 3.5GHz + nVidia 760GTX + 16GB RAM + SSD + HDD²
Linux Mint 17.2 - KDE 4.14.2 - kernel 3.16.0-38-generic
Join me and become a Linux Mint Community Sponsor and share some love! (for as little as USD$20 a month)
anandrkris

Post by anandrkris »

myrkat
Level 2
Level 2

Post by myrkat »

I believe I have found a work-around to my issues with Compose Key.

From THIS POST (a few years ago), I saw one user do a

Code: Select all

sudo im-switch -s none
followed by a

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install ibus
Risking it all, I did the same on my Mint 17 KDE setup. I had to get im-switch first via sudo apt-get install, then set it to none; next I installed ibus (which I thought would be installed, but it wasn't). Once all that was done, I rebooted, logged in and then voila! I tested it in Skype, Thunderbird, LibreOffice and it worked. Unfortunately, it does not seem to work in Chrome, but there is a known bug about that. Heck, I can even type it in World of Warcraft (running under Wine) like I used to... which is nice since most of my characters have accented letters!

When I echo $XMODIFIERS I get a blank (where I used to get "@im=ibus" or something). Not sure what happened or why, but it is working (for now?) at least.
Main Comp: i7-4770K @ 3.5GHz + nVidia 760GTX + 16GB RAM + SSD + HDD²
Linux Mint 17.2 - KDE 4.14.2 - kernel 3.16.0-38-generic
Join me and become a Linux Mint Community Sponsor and share some love! (for as little as USD$20 a month)

Return to “Cinnamon”