(Solved) LM 17 can't add new user

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
te7

Post by te7 »

Can't add new user. Window comes up and I enter info, then when I click to add, nothing happens. Have to "X" out of window. Running LM 17 32 bit in VirtualBox 4.3.12. Thanks for any replies.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
gtsfer

Re: LM 17 can't add new user

Post by gtsfer »

In Users and Groups, check on your own ID first. See if Account Type is administrator. If you have to change that you might have to log out and back in for it to take effect.
te7

Re: LM 17 can't add new user

Post by te7 »

I am the administrator. It happens in both 32 bit and 64 bit LM 17 Cinnamon in VirtualBox 4.3.12 on Windows 7 64 bit host. I'll see if there's an update to VirtualBox to see if that makes a difference.

Update: There's a problem with the newest VirtualBox so I can't try that. Adding a new user works in LM 17 Xfce. But not LM 17 Cinnamon in VirtualBox 4.3.12.
te7

Post by te7 »

I found the problem. I was adding uppercase letters to the username. It must be all lowercase. I didn't know that till adding a new user with uppercase letters in Xfce gave me a message about what characters are allowed. Cinnamon should display a message to the user when trying to use uppercase letters for the username, or any non-allowed characters. With Cinnamon, it just doesn't do anything. Just no response whatsoever, with clicking OK or Cancel not doing anything. Have to "X" out. Could be a showstopper for a newbie, which I am not, but I use my Windows host most of the time and use my Linux virtual machines for software development. Sorry if it seems like a newbie post, but an improvement to Cinnamon could be used here for newbies, especially if they're using LM Cinnamon as their first experience with Linux. Add a reply if you think Cinnamon can be improved with this feature.

Thanks
Tom
gtsfer

Re: (Solved) LM 17 can't add new user

Post by gtsfer »

I would have thought Cinnamon should complain about that too. I wonder in fact if it's "bug" category if all the other releases catch it when you enter a username. It would certainly be a pretty good improvement at least.
te7

Re: (Solved) LM 17 can't add new user

Post by te7 »

Return to “Cinnamon”