Stark Menu is better than Default Cinnamon menu

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
phill1978

Stark Menu is better than Default Cinnamon menu

Post by phill1978 »

Can it be used on Mint 18? as a default? the stark menu is a lot cleaner, simpler and fits with cinnamon better. The default menu tends to be too large and cumbersom with too many icons and often vast areas of wasted space. the actual performance on the default menu is slower than the stark menu too

thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
nomko

Re: Stark Menu is better than Default Cinnamon menu

Post by nomko »

I doubt that the Stark menu will be integrated in the next Cinnamon release or in the next Mint release since the Stark menu is an applet made by an user who's not part of the Mint/Cinnamon development team. Another reason why it won't be included is that the Mint/cinnamon development team has already chosen a menu layout and structure as basic design for Cinnamon. Changing this design will only lead to confussion amongst other users of other distributions. This is my point of view ofcourse.
roblm
Level 15
Level 15

Post by roblm »

Some people have reported some delay in opening the Cinnamon menu, but it's always opened instantly for me in several
different installations.

You can customize the default Cinnamon menu by changing the size of the icons and fonts, minimize the overall menu size and
remove unneeded components, as shown in my menu below:
New cinnamon menu.png

Depending on what you want to do, one or two configuration files will need to be edited.
Check my tutorial for instructions, in my post in the topic below:
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 9&t=129524
lestcape
Level 2
Level 2

Post by lestcape »

Just to clarify a little, the code of Stark Menu, Configurable Menu, and Cinnamon Menu it's pretty similar, the only difference of Start Menu could be, that when menu is opening, you do not need to load all icons of applications, because all are not showing directly. So, the overload of menu increase in the case of Cinnamon Menu, because needed to be loaded all icons favorites and all application on the same time. This fact will be considered by many people as a good thing, because in Stark Menu you need to do many click, for open an application. In fact the overload finally will be the same more less, if you divide the job into two parts , not be the same job?
sfrusciante
Level 3
Level 3

Post by sfrusciante »

I do totally agree with you, the Stark Menu has a better layout (not changable in the default menu... am I wrong?) and generally a better responsiveness under stress condition, as long as I've seen.

It's a shame that it's not fully functioning under Cinnamon 3.0...

Although I recognize that a project from an external side will hardly become a default in Mint, yet different layout choiches in the default menu wouldn't be such a bad idea, in my opinion.
I got a crazy number of people to disappoint. -me

Return to “Cinnamon”