Info: Different languages for users (LM17/Cinnamon)

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Moonbase

Info: Different languages for users (LM17/Cinnamon)

Post by Moonbase »

I ran into the situation that I needed to help someone, but my system language is German and usually we seem to agree upon stating all menu and application names in English. So I set up another user on my laptop who should have English as his language—so I wouldn't mess explanations up by translating back from German to English.

But, alas, the language selection is not anymore in the "new user" dialog. So set up the new user as usual and select the language to be used by clicking the small country flag on the login screen. Voilà, all good! Mint is even clever enough to offer renaming the "personal shortcuts" like "Music", "Videos" from the system language into the desired work language. Great feature. Just love the little niceties like my trash being called "Rubbish bin" … :-)

N.B.: Of course, the language to be used must be installed on the system. You can only select from installed languages.

Just wanted to let everyone know, in case someone else runs into the same situation. :-)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
DrHu

Re: Info: Different languages for users (LM17/Cinnamon)

Post by DrHu »

Yup, this Linux distribution defaults to English-USA
--other language choices have to be added later (locales.)
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=109925

Same problem, if you use other than US English, such as British English
--you have to add it later, and if you use LibreOffice, you also need to add the dictionary to match, so that spell checking gets your English language preference.

I aslo usually remove all languages I don't need either via the software manager or in Bleechbit, which can be set to ignore other languages than your own set of choices
--naturally the software components either have to exist on the system or not: Bleechbit being only a convenience.

Return to “Cinnamon”