System gets slower and slower with use

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
TechandToner5166

System gets slower and slower with use

Post by TechandToner5166 »

I am a recent Mint convert running the Cinnamon DE, but have used Linux almost exclusively since 2001. The problem I am experiencing is specific to Mint 17. I can install other flavors of Linux and not experience this issue, so I am reaching out for help. Before Mint, I ran Gnome almost exclusively either in Debian or Ubuntu.

What I have noticed is that after running for a while, either hours or days, Mint 17 starts to slow down considerably to the point where a reboot is needed. Unfortunately, I have never experienced this problem before and am not sure where to start looking to resolve the issue.

More details:

1) I can run Debian or Ubuntu on the same system and not have this problem.
2) The issue is the same across multiple systems. (Four to date)
3) One system in particular is having the most trouble. AMD Sempron 3GB RAM
4) I have reduced swappiness to 10
5) I never run out of RAM
6) Heavy browser use makes the problem worse.
7) Heavy GIMP use does not duplicate the problem
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
nomko

Re: System gets slower and slower with use

Post by nomko »

TechandToner5166 wrote:I am a recent Mint convert running the Cinnamon DE
There's some memory leak under Cinnamon. I noticed this as well. I had Mint 17 Cinnamon installed without any updates, graphic driver, extensions, applets, desklets, etc. And still the memory usage of Cinnamon grew each day and at one point, after a reboot, it grew to almost 1 GB in just 24 hours! My system turned slower and slower by the day and that made me ditch Cinnamon and go to MATE which runs smooth and fast!
I2k4
Level 5
Level 5

Post by I2k4 »

I'm still test running M17 Cinnamon, but apart from its naturally being more demanding on resources than lighter weight DEs it seems the same as others. I run Bleachbit every few weeks on all versions to purge the system, and half a GB or more of garbage files is deleted each time. Especially browsers build up crappola.
TRUST BUT VERIFY any advice from anybody, including me. Mint/Ubuntu user since 10.04 LTS. LM20 64 bit XFCE (Dell 1520). Dual boot LM20 XFCE / Win7 (Lenovo desktop and Acer netbook). Testing LM21.1 Cinnamon and XFCE Live for new Lenovo desktop.
fgrassi

Post by fgrassi »

Hello Mates...

Same problem here.

Just move my Notbook from Ubuntu to Mint.

I have a Acer with I5 + 4 GB ram...

worked fine with ubuntu...

Now, almost every day, the computer start to slow down.... then freezes or almost it...

First I thought it was related to Chrome Browser... But even with Firefox the issue happens.

I'm a 'heavy' inter user, since we develop and run our company system on a web basis...

I installed Mint Cinamon, but lately I've been using XFCE as a Desktop Manager... even so, the problem persists...

I use mostly Browsing, MySQL, Netbeans, Evolution and Skype, all the time...

Any help about this?

I REALLY don't want to format and back to Ubuntu...
TechandToner5166

[update] Re: System gets slower and slower with use

Post by TechandToner5166 »

Switched from Chrome to Firefox and have noticed a substantial improvement. Whether that is what did it, or the numerous updates since I last posted, I cannot be sure. I just know that my system is much improved and any thought of installing something else is gone.

I did try Chrome again, but the performance was not on par with Firefox, so I've quit using Chrome alltogether.
SkyBane

Post by SkyBane »

I am also having this issue . In firefox , when using multiple tabs ( over 10 ) it gets bad after about 20 minutes . Over 50 tabs and it will get very sluggish after 10 minutes ! I've never had this problem untill upgrading to mint 17 . Prior to mint 17 , I could have firefox open in several windows with over a hundred tabs ( yes lol I said over a hundred ) open for hours on end during my research work with no problems .
I have been running bleachbit every 2 days and that helps a lot BUT , I really don't think it's good having to use a cleaner this often !
If a fix doesn't come out soon I'll try switching from cinnamon to mate and see if that fixes it .
I2k4
Level 5
Level 5

Post by I2k4 »

If it's just the browser look at extensions like "Click and Clean" / "History Eraser" that will flush out Firefox or Chrome and can be configured so not to delete useful data. I've found since using Chromecast to play videos from Chrome that it needs a lot of cache cleaning to stay fast.
TRUST BUT VERIFY any advice from anybody, including me. Mint/Ubuntu user since 10.04 LTS. LM20 64 bit XFCE (Dell 1520). Dual boot LM20 XFCE / Win7 (Lenovo desktop and Acer netbook). Testing LM21.1 Cinnamon and XFCE Live for new Lenovo desktop.
Boblebad

Post by Boblebad »

I run Mint 17 Mate, i can tell you, it won't help you to switch, i have the problem too.

Return to “Cinnamon”