Custom cursor switches backto default only in Chrome browser

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Alpha-Geek
Level 4
Level 4

Custom cursor switches backto default only in Chrome browser

Post by Alpha-Geek »

I'm running Linux Mint 17, 32 bit. I like having the green cursor on my desktop. But, as subject the line says, it's green in all applications & all over Mint except in the Chrome Browser. I've tried Oxygen Cursors & Crystal Cursors. I've tried making the cursor selection not just in the Theme settings but also using Ubuntu Tweak. I've tried editing usr/share/icons/default to read "Inherits= oxy-green" (or crystalgreen). All to no avail. I know it's not a crazy important issue that effects operation, but it bugs the heck out of me since I can usually resolve any issues on my own. I really prefer Chome because of the apps, the speed & because it syncs to all my devices. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks for reading.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Custom cursor switches backto default only in Chrome bro

Post by austin.texas »

Chrome has a mind of its own, and I don't think anything you do in the OS will change it.
You will also notice that the right-click menu in Chrome has a different appearance from the right-click menu in other programs, Nemo for example.
This is just the way Chrome is built. They know better than you what you want, like Windows.
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018
Alpha-Geek
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Alpha-Geek »

Thanks for the reply, Austin. I was thinking that it was a Chrome issue as well & not something easily fixed.
scryan

Post by scryan »

Alpha-Geek wrote:Thanks for the reply, Austin. I was thinking that it was a Chrome issue as well & not something easily fixed.
In chrome you can go to settings, and look for theme. There you can choose to use custom themes, use the default theme, or use the GTK+ theme. Try chosing GTK and see if it helps
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas »

You can create your own themes, but I don't think you can apply them to the dropdown menus, at least not with a great deal of control over the appearance.
Here is a list of the things you can change when you create your own Chrome theme (the cursor is not listed): https://code.google.com/p/chromium/wiki ... ationGuide
and
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1jt9 ... GsEoA/edit
and
http://www.themebeta.com/chrome-theme-c ... nline.html
and, the Chrome theme I created to go with my Cinnamon theme:
http://www.themebeta.com/node/74489
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018
ben2talk

Post by ben2talk »

The problem is that Chromium and Chrome browsers call the base x-cursor theme and NOT the one that you selected.

This is a bit like in 2007 when people were learning to work-around synaptic coming up with no theme applied...

The answer for US, the users, is to run:

sudo update-alternatives --config x-cursor-theme

You'll see a list of all cursors available to you.

Code: Select all

ben: [~] sudo update-alternatives --config x-cursor-theme
[sudo] password for ben: 
There are 18 choices for the alternative x-cursor-theme (providing /usr/share/icons/default/index.theme).

Selection    Path                                                         Priority   Status
------------------------------------------------------------
  0            /usr/share/icons/DMZ-White/cursor.theme                       100       auto mode
  1            /usr/share/icons/Adwaita/cursor.theme                         90        manual mode
  2            /usr/share/icons/Chameleon-Anthracite-Large/cursor.theme      49        manual mode
  3            /usr/share/icons/Chameleon-Anthracite-Regular/cursor.theme    49        manual mode
  4            /usr/share/icons/Chameleon-Anthracite-Small/cursor.theme      49        manual mode
  5            /usr/share/icons/Chameleon-DarkSkyBlue-Large/cursor.theme     49        manual mode
  6            /usr/share/icons/Chameleon-DarkSkyBlue-Regular/cursor.theme   49        manual mode
  7            /usr/share/icons/Chameleon-DarkSkyBlue-Small/cursor.theme     49        manual mode
  8            /usr/share/icons/Chameleon-Pearl-Large/cursor.theme           50        manual mode
  9            /usr/share/icons/Chameleon-Pearl-Regular/cursor.theme         49        manual mode
  10           /usr/share/icons/Chameleon-Pearl-Small/cursor.theme           49        manual mode
  11           /usr/share/icons/Chameleon-SkyBlue-Large/cursor.theme         49        manual mode
  12           /usr/share/icons/Chameleon-SkyBlue-Regular/cursor.theme       49        manual mode
  13           /usr/share/icons/Chameleon-SkyBlue-Small/cursor.theme         49        manual mode
  14           /usr/share/icons/Chameleon-White-Large/cursor.theme           49        manual mode
* 15           /usr/share/icons/Chameleon-White-Regular/cursor.theme         49        manual mode
  16           /usr/share/icons/Chameleon-White-Small/cursor.theme           49        manual mode
  17           /usr/share/icons/DMZ-Black/cursor.theme                       30        manual mode
  18           /usr/share/icons/DMZ-White/cursor.theme                       100       manual mode

Press enter to keep the current choice[*], or type selection number: 
The star shows my previous selection, and this is now recognised by the system as the base cursor (rather than 'user selected').

It runs smoothly over Chrome and Chromium... and I'm not yet aware of any application that upsets it.

Return to “Cinnamon”