How to replicate "Workspace X" text?

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ericramos1990

How to replicate "Workspace X" text?

Post by ericramos1990 »

Hello, when you change workspace (default ctrl+alt+right arrow, or left arrow) I see the text "Workspace 2" or 1, etc.

I would like to replicate this text and put some text of my own and use it for a script I am working on.

If anyone can please help me out with this, I would really appreciate it :)

I don't have a clock in my room to save electricity, (PC < Clock+ PC), and I want it to display the time every half an hour. I already know how to do the rest, I just want to have some sort of overlay text that won't interrupt with whatever I am doing, which will appear for a quick half or full second.

The workspace switch text seems like exactly what I am looking for :)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
ericramos1990

Re: How to replicate "Workspace X" text?

Post by ericramos1990 »

Bumpity bump?
anandrkris

Post by anandrkris »

Not sure, if this helps in anyway....Will notify-osd help?
ericramos1990

Post by ericramos1990 »

Hey there anandrkris, thanks for the response!

It's almost identical to notify-send isn't it?

From my experience, notify-send didn't really cut it since I couldn't make it big and centered, and the length of the message on the screen really worked the way I wanted it to

Thanks for your input!
anandrkris

Post by anandrkris »

In fact, now after reading few links now am not so sure that notify-osd does what is required in you case. Looks like it is similar to notify-send. I thought since the notification that appears when one change volume, brightness, enable wifi, etc. is called OSD, notify-osd would do the job...Now, am not so sure...Sorry.

Return to “Cinnamon”