Panel & Mouse Not Behaving Properly

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
truebda
Level 1
Level 1

Panel & Mouse Not Behaving Properly

Post by truebda »

I'm pretty new, so bear with me. I'm running LinuxMint17 and everything was running perfectly. I recently (couple of days ago) installed WINE and then ORACLE VM VIRTUAL MACHINE. Shortly after that the Panel (with icons on left side to start applications) started behaving differently.

By differently, I mean the following.
1. Before when I would left click an icon (for instance FireFox) it would launch that application and everything would function normally. Now when I left click it, the mouse cannot activate any buttons, nor can I exit the application by clicking the X button in the upper right corner. Only way to quit the application is to use keyboard ALT-F4.

2. I notice that if I right click the FireFox icon and choose LAUNCH, then the application behaves as normal. Mouse can control buttons and MIN, EXPAND and EXIT buttons at upper ritght behave normally.

3. I have deleted and re-installed the ICONS on the panel, but that didn't change anything.

4. I have also un-installed WINE and VM, thinking perhaps those installs had something to do with this new issue. Didn't change anything.

5. Seems like all applications launched by left click from the Panel are mis-behaving. Lauches from the MENU act normally.

I'm kind of thinking that I must have buggered (technical term) up some setting somewhere, but I can't seem to figure out where.

Help would be appreciated... thank you.

Dave
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
truebda
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Panel & Mouse Not Behaving Properly

Post by truebda »

Further Mis-behavior:

FIREFOX: If I open FireFox, initially the mouse can click and select buttons and icons in the browser window, however MIN, MAX, and EXIT in upper right do not function. Also, PANEL does not function normally. I can't minimize FireFox by clicking it's icon on the panel, nor does clicking on MENU bring up the menue? Only way to close FireFox is ALT-F4.

TERMINAL: Opening a terminal window, I cannot grab the title bar and move the window around like normal. Also, just like FIreFox, can't click or use MIN, MAX or EXIT buttons and can't get a response from the PANEL.

Wierd

Dave
truebda
Level 1
Level 1

Post by truebda »

After several BOOTS the system now seems to be behaving properly and working wonderfully. I really like it. Maybe the system is self correcting? I'm not sure. Any comments about that would be helpfull.

Dave
truebda
Level 1
Level 1

Post by truebda »

No... still having problems. So, I un-installed LM17, reformatted the partition and did a complete
reinstall of the whole thing.

Two issues with this desktop maching.
1. It has an NVIDIA video card which needs to have proper drivers installed.
2. It has a Motorola Wireless card with Broadcom chipset which also needs proper drivers installed.

In order to get the NVIDIA card to display during the LM17 install requires getting it to start in a special display mode
by editing the GRUB2 startup file [hit 'e' at the GRUB menue]. All this detail can be found here
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=122257

It appears now that my issue with the Panel & Mouse Not Behaving Properly is a function of whether or not I enter
LM17 using the edited GRUB commands. If I enter with the edit.... it seems like everything works fine. If I don't use
the edited version.... I get these troublesome problems.

The edits to the GRUB commands are
tag following onto the end of one of the linex command lines as follows

'nomodeset xforcevesa' and then hit F10 to continue into BOOT.

I suppose there is a way to permanently modify the GRUB2 file with these appended commands, but I don't know
how to do that.

Anybody got an idea.... I would welcome it. Seems like I'm getting close to a fix for this issue.

Dave

Return to “Cinnamon”