System gets confused with two DVD drives

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Quasimodo
Level 2
Level 2

System gets confused with two DVD drives

Post by Quasimodo »

I've recently finished setting up Mint 17/Cinnamon on my desktop PC. Mostly works fine, but I'm having grief trying to do one of my weekly jobs: ripping the CD audio recording of our church Sunday morning service to my hard drive, so I can use Audacity to extract the sermon and upload it to the church web site. When I was using Mint 13, the system recognised the existence of the 2 DVD drives; putting the audio CD into the master drive triggered Sound Juicer to open, and I could rip the recording to a .flac file, which I then opened with Audacity... With Mint 17, the "Computer" window recognises only one optical drive; loading the CD into master drive for the first time gave me the dialogue window asking me which application to use to open the CD. I selected "Sound Juicer", and Sound Juicer duly opened, but with no CD information. Edit|Preferences for Sound Juicer offers only one CD drive to select from; Disc|Eject opens the *slave* drive. Loading the CD into the slave drive causes the activity light on the drive to light up, but nothing else. I note that rignt-click on the optical drive icon in "Computer" (NB, only one drive icon, although there are 2 drives) and selecting Eject opens the *slave* drive.

Fortunately I still have Mint 13 available (I set up Mint 17 to dual boot with Mint 13, rather than replacing Mint 13), so I can reboot to Mint 13 to do the job, but this looks like a significant bug in Mint 17. Can anyone suggest where to start poking in Mint 17, please, or should I report it as a bug?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Ian
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Quasimodo
Level 2
Level 2

Re: System gets confused with two DVD drives

Post by Quasimodo »

Supplementary to this: the output from sudo lshw -c disk (extracting the material relevant to the DVD drives) is:

Code: Select all

*-cdrom:0               
       description: DVD-RAM writer
       product: DVD RW AD-7173A
       vendor: Optiarc
       physical id: 0.0.0
       bus info: scsi@0:0.0.0
       logical name: /dev/cdrom
       logical name: /dev/sr0
       version: 1-01
       serial: [
       capabilities: removable audio cd-r cd-rw dvd dvd-r dvd-ram
       configuration: ansiversion=5 status=nodisc
  *-cdrom:1
       description: DVD-RAM writer
       product: DVD RW AD-7173A
       vendor: Optiarc
       physical id: 0.1.0
       bus info: scsi@0:0.1.0
       logical name: /dev/sr1
       version: 1-01
       serial: [
       capabilities: removable audio cd-r cd-rw dvd dvd-r dvd-ram
       configuration: ansiversion=5 status=nodisc
which looks pretty plausible... I deduce from this that the problem is at a higher layer - any suggestions, please?

Ian
Quasimodo
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Quasimodo »

More supplementary information:

1. On my laptop (also running Mint 17), which has only one DVD-RW drive, Sound Juicer and Brasero behave sensibly - an audio CD in the DVD drive brings up Sound Juicer, which can see the tracks recorded on the CD; Brasero also does what I'd expect it to, and can write to a recordable CD in the DVD drive.

2. On my desktop, I tried installing LMDE in place of Mint 13 - mistake! LMDE shows the same problems as Mint 17 - "Computer" shows only one optical drive and so on.

3. Still on the desktop (back with Mint 17), I've found that Brasero can be persuaded to burn/erase discs and Sound Juicer to rip audio CDs provided I use the *slave* drive, so there's a sort of work-around for the problem; I have to load the audio CD to be ripped into the *slave* drive and then start Sound Juicer from the menu, because it will auto-start only if I load an audio CD into the *master* drive; it then reads the track listing for the audio CD (if any) in the *slave* drive :?

Some more digging is evidently needed, but I don't know where to put my spade...
Quasimodo
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Quasimodo »

I've found a work-around for the problem of ripping CDs: the excellent "ripit" script from Felix Suwald. I've configured it so that it rips the track(s) and encodes to flac; all I have to do is add the artist and title to enforce the directory structure I want at run-time. I can live with having to use the slave drive when I want to run brasero...

Finding the config file in ~/.ripit made me wonder where the config files for sound-juicer and brasero are stored...
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Flemur »

Finding the config file in ~/.ripit made me wonder where the config files for sound-juicer and brasero are stored...

Probably under ~/.config

Try (terminal)
$ cd
$ find -iname "*juice*"
etc.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
Quasimodo
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Quasimodo »

Yes, you're right, thanks - however the config file for brasero is purely for the graphical aspects - nothing to do with fundamental stuff like which optical drive it uses; and that for sound-juicer is even less useful - the folder contains one file "genres", which is empty...

Ian

Return to “Cinnamon”