Making it look good

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
seabird74
Level 1
Level 1

Making it look good

Post by seabird74 »

Hi everyone,

after the complainting of my gf her laptop booting too slow I decided to spice it up with mint. Her main (initial complaint) it that it looks clunky. Her older laptop sports a 15" 1366x768 screen and the icons and text are on the larger side.
Same with libreoffice... "it looks clunky"

So far no performance issues just the looks. Any quick way to impress her on this screen size? She doesn't mind how it looks on my laptop (13.3" 1920*1080).
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
PatH57

Re: Making it look good

Post by PatH57 »

let's first check if the driver is correctly installed

Code: Select all

inxi -Gxz
seabird74
Level 1
Level 1

Post by seabird74 »

Code: Select all

Graphics:  Card: Intel 2nd Generation Core Processor Family Integrated Graphics Controller bus-ID: 00:02.0 
           X.Org: 1.15.1 drivers: intel (unloaded: fbdev,vesa) Resolution: 1366x768@60.0hz 
           GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel Sandybridge Mobile GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 10.1.0 Direct Rendering: Yes
I think it is more a zoom/"theme" issue then hardware
PatH57

Post by PatH57 »

hw looks good.
resolution is a bit "wide", check the control center for Desktop settings and Appearance (you can change a lot of things)
seabird74
Level 1
Level 1

Post by seabird74 »

The settings are correct. She just thinks the icons are too big and clunky.

I did do the
folder > preferences > zoom level 66%

But this doesn't make it look better. I have to agree with her that windows looked better on this size screen
PatH57

Post by PatH57 »

never been to bothered about the looks but I'm sure someone must have done a theme with other sized icons.
especially with Cinnamon, there are plenty of settings and themes...
eanfrid

Post by eanfrid »

I agree with PatH57: if you do not like the look of the icons theme (I don't like it either), install another one and change it.

webupd8 and noobslab are good and safe starting points to add themes/icons and related PPAs:
http://www.noobslab.com/2011/11/themes- ... html#icons
http://www.webupd8.org/search/label/eye ... results=10
seabird74
Level 1
Level 1

Post by seabird74 »

She doesn't dislike the icons, she just dislikes the size. Will browse for some new icons for her. Making it a point to try and get her to love linux :D
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

Hey, everybody deserves a personal touch for their system. Choice is what it's all about. Like Path57 eyecandy is not so important for me, but
then a flower for one is a weed for another. Get those extra themes and icons, and let her loose with them.
I actually know a couple win diehards who like Metro--go figure.
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
PatH57

Post by PatH57 »

hum I always get a away with a good dinner and "honey" it's so much safer and faster now, like me :lol:

Return to “Cinnamon”