Hints for Quit/Logout/Lock Icons

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
tim_schofield

Hints for Quit/Logout/Lock Icons

Post by tim_schofield »

Firstly some real praise. My 80 year old mother recently got harassed by the "we are calling from windows you have a problem with your computer" scammers and they nearly extracted money from her. I installed Mint 17 on her computer removing windows and she really loves it. Linux has really arrived when this can happen.

Her only complaint was she couldn't shut the computer down. I have noticed myself that when you hover over the icons on the left of the menu, the hint telling you what the icon does appears in the bottom right, and it is not obvious. Could this be improved on? Could it appear somewhere better, like nect to the icon?

Thanks
Tim
Last edited by SMG on Tue Dec 27, 2022 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Locking ancient topic.
kyphi
Level 9
Level 9

Re: Hints for Quit/Logout/Lock Icons

Post by kyphi »

She must be very proud of you - well done.

The "shutdown" icon in Cinnamon is a universally recognised "power off" icon. You can add another, more prominent icon, if you wish. There are several available in Applets. This icon is added to the panel and if you increase the panel height, the shutdown icon also gets bigger making it easier to see.
Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon
tim_schofield

Re: Hints for Quit/Logout/Lock Icons

Post by tim_schofield »

Well it is universally recognised by those who use computers frequently and know that it is the "Power off" button. I was talking about a user who is not in that category.. Actually the title given to that button on my Mint 17 box is "Quit" not "Power off".

Thanks anyway,
Tim

Return to “Cinnamon”