Cinnamon Suggish

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
loligater

Cinnamon Suggish

Post by loligater »

Hey everyone,

I've used Cinnamon for a while, and on most of my machines it runs great. However my desktop seems to be a little sluggish.

Specs:
  • CPU: i5-4590
    RAM: 16GB DDR3 1600
    Disks: 128GB SSD & 500GB HDD
    VGA: GTX 285
    Resolution: 3840x1080 (2 1920x1080)
On paper I don't see why it's sluggish. To be more specific, when I switch workspaces or zoom out to see all of my workspaces it has a huge transition lag. It's not a huge deal, but it's kind of frustrating when it seems like it should be transparent. If I do the transition many times, it sort of smooths out like it's been cached but this only lasts for a few minutes.

I'm pretty familiar with Linux, but I don't wanna start poking around in nvidia settings blindly as we all know where that can lead us. I was thinking it may have something to do with the two screens, and maybe Cinnamon just doesn't like having multiple monitors (I know it used to really not like it very much) and in that case I could just switch DEs.

I am asking if anyone has any tips for pointing me in the right direction? It's something I would like to figure out on my own but I need a little assistance :D
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
loligater

Re: Cinnamon Suggish

Post by loligater »

Not exactly sure what it was, but I upgraded my kernel to 3.16 and now everything is much better.

EDIT: Actually that did not fix it, but I did figure it out. My nvidia card has Powermizer, and after X amount of time it would underclock my card. This would make it have laggy transitions, after doing one enough times Powermizer would let go and the card would throttle up. Disabling Powermizer fixed this for me, I simply set my card to 'prefer maximum performance.'

Return to “Cinnamon”