Booting to DVD not happening! HP DVD1270

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ronkz

Booting to DVD not happening! HP DVD1270

Post by ronkz »

My bios is set to boot cd/dvd first, but Optiarc drive often didn't load so I swapped in my HP DVD1270.

Not meaning to get too wordy here, but I have kinda a melluvahess to deal with. My XP caught the BSOD fever and must be recovered so I've ordered the recovery from SpotMau by download -- it's a dang .exe file which I don't know how to run with Linux. Also Cinnamon 16 seems to not be running right so I bought Mate 17 on DVD. On Linux I can read cd/dvd but "live" or "install" dont work, partly because I don't know how to install from within Cinammon.

I figure both my DVD burners need drivers, as neither seem to wholly run as expected; I suppose we all had had such problems, but I'm stuck. If I could do something to install those *.exe files onto CD and boot those, that seems a necessary step to booting from CD and begin working my way outta the woods here. I have managed NOT to buy anything M$ since I got XP, but if I can't get this stuff working as usual, I hate the alternative!

Hope someone smarter with this stuff will step in to help, PLEASE!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Booting to DVD not happening! HP DVD1270

Post by austin.texas »

spotmau has tutorials on how to use the .exe file.
It can't be used in linux.
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018
ronkz

Post by ronkz »

Austin.Texas -- When I can't even burn or boot a CD, no tutorial can possibly be relevant. If you (or anyone) has help for whatever might be needed to get my cd/dvd component to work, the rest will be possible. thank you.

in downloading the Spotmau file, I got only an exe file which I cannot run, and which when trying to open I always get only
"Error attaching disk image: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.UDisks2.Error.Failed: Error setting up loop device /dev/loop0: Invalid argument (udisks-error-quark, 0)"
so because I can't get the CD software to load as we all expect.

So that's probably needing a driver which Linux did not install. It seems that on installation Linux picks up many settings from the existing Wiindoze installation (which at this point I cannot get fixed without a running cd/dvd driver and therefore I can't even get a CD boot. I'm thinking I must first get XP running and then we might go from there? If there's some other approach which will fix this mess, okay, but definitely I need some help!
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas »

ronkz wrote: I bought Mate 17 on DVD. On Linux I can read cd/dvd but "live" or "install" dont work, partly because I don't know how to install from within Cinammon.
The way to get the live Mint DVD to work is to boot from the DVD, not the hard drive. Use the boot menu in your BIOS. Mine is F12 for boot options.
ronkz wrote: I figure both my DVD burners need drivers
Not for the live Mint DVD.
ronkz wrote: If I could do something to install those *.exe files onto CD and boot those, that seems a necessary step to booting from CD and begin working my way outta the woods here.
I don't know of any way to use the .exe file using linux. You would have to have someone with a Windows computer burn the CD for you to use.
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018
DrHu

Post by DrHu »

Isn't that drive also a SATA device
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/wind ... 0634b138e4
--if so then SATA mode for your OS is needed (Linux or Windows), and windows had some problems with that device..
ronkz

Post by ronkz »

DrHu wrote:Isn't that drive also a SATA device
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/wind ... 0634b138e4
--if so then SATA mode for your OS is needed (Linux or Windows), and windows had some problems with that device..
Yes, my bios is set for SATA (but I don't use a backup drive with it). Somehow tho, the HP DVD1270 doesn't appear as first boot as designated. That drive is +also LightScribe. I have found several lightscribe drivers which are *maybe* Linux, but few if any Linux drivers for the 1270. My broken WinXP seems to be a possible problem, as Linux app installations seem able to pick things up from Windows and somehow make them available/working in Linux.

I have some CD-only drives amongst my stash, maybe I will give one of those a try. Meanwhile, I'll hit your M$ link soon.
ronkz

Post by ronkz »

austin.texas wrote:The way to get the live Mint DVD to work is to boot from the DVD, not the hard drive. Use the boot menu in your BIOS. Mine is F12 for boot options.
ronkz wrote: I figure both my DVD burners need drivers
Not for the live Mint DVD.
I don't know of any way to use the .exe file using linux. You would have to have someone with a Windows computer burn the CD for you to use.
Yes, my gal has a Win7 computer right behind me, and I'm thinking to use that to complete a CD of the Spotmau app. But unless I can get my puter to boot to that CD, "Austin, we have a problem". Like yours, my bios gives some way of choosing alternate boots, but frankly whenever I've tried that, the only alternate choice has been my floppy A: drive - IOW the CD is not even showing up there. So then it always just loads the GRUB menu, which has nothing about the needed alternatives and of course, booting XP just brings the dreaded BSOD.
LesStrater

Post by LesStrater »

Have you tried tapping the F8 key during boot-up and starting XP in Safe Mode?
If you can't get your BIOS to boot off your CD drive, I would borrow or buy a portable USB CD/DVD drive (about $15 on eBay) and set the BIOS to boot from the USB first. Then I would forget about Linux and SpotMau - just boot your Windows XP installation disk and select the Recovery Console.
ronkz

Post by ronkz »

LesStrater wrote:Have you tried tapping the F8 key during boot-up and starting XP in Safe Mode?
If you can't get your BIOS to boot off your CD drive, I would borrow or buy a portable USB CD/DVD drive (about $15 on eBay) and set the BIOS to boot from the USB first. Then I would forget about Linux and SpotMau - just boot your Windows XP installation disk and select the Recovery Console.
I had tried many times to get there with f8, and etc ect. It's always BSOD, and for a time I was able to boot my the Optiarc DVD drive, but it wasn't working well in Linux, and now with the subject HP DVD1270CD, can get to nothing at all.

I am totally fed up with Windows, which is why I refuse to spend any more $$ with M$ and I was a long time learning enough about Linux to be useful. But, I must get XP recovered as as I have a couple of critical apps with data within, my CAD and my genealogy.

I have several working CD drives, and perhaps aslo a working DVD drive (I rebuild and computers... with Linux Apps) and I'll try one of those, and/or got to my mate's win7 puter and get SpotMAU onto CD so hopefully XP is restored. Also, I believe there's a newer BIOS, so upgrading that is part of strategy. At the moment it's all a frustrating mess. Thanks.
ronkz

Post by ronkz »

Some Progress
I replaced the HP DVD1270 with an LG MODISC "super-multi" and at least I can now boot to CD/DVD.
Then the DVD for Mint 17 Mate booted and installed (along-side), but it so far has not helped fix anything else.
curio: I'm running a WD 500GB HD, and after the Mate installation and then rebooting into Cinnamon v.16, now a drive called only "File System" showed 140.8 T-bytes, confused!

So next I guess I'll try taking the SpotMau "bootsuite-downloader.exe" to my gal's win7 puter and see if I can end up with a bootable CD, with which hopefully it and finally recover my BSOD WinXP.

All this mess is far worse than simply starting everything all over on a newly formatted other-harddrive. Problem is that I have Win apps and data I cannot afford to lose.

I feel sure I'll be back here with some further report. It'd be so nice to "git a life" again!
ronkz

Post by ronkz »

I replaced the DVD drive with an older LG MODISC and it's working normally now.

I don't know if this is related or not, but I downloaded a an ISO anti-virus file asked to open the download folrder, and got this message:
"Error attaching disk image: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.UDisks2.Error.Failed: Error setting up loop device /dev/loop0: Invalid argument (udisks-error-quark, 0)"

I have no idea what that means nor how to fix it. I sure need to know more that I do!

Return to “Cinnamon”