Nemo goes into fallback mode

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Fr0zen1

Linux Mint and Ubuntu, both freeze after sometime

Post by Fr0zen1 »

Hello there, so today when I booted my linux mint, orange dots(usually green) just going up and down the load bar(four dots, displayed when linux mint is turning on). So that wouldnt finish. So I went on my windows drive, downloaded linux mint 64bit cinnamon and after installing a few applications, it froze. Reinstalled it for the second time and same thing happened. So after its on for some time it freezes

So I went to go download Ubuntu, just for now. Hadnt tasted the new 14.04 so when downloading that. I was gone for some while, while it was on and when I came back. boom frozen. And after a hard restart. Using it for some time. Same thing. Happened again now.

So whats the problem. My specs are not that great but are still good in of.

Processor AMD Phenom(tm) 9150e Quad-Core Processor
Video Card NVIDIA GeForce GT 430
Memory 6.2 GB

So will changing my username fix this? :24:
Messing, this is pretty annoying. I`m a linux lover just like you guys. So please help. Thank you
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Linux Mint and Ubuntu, both freeze after sometime

Post by austin.texas »

Your username :24: should not be a problem under ordinary circumstances, depending on what language keyboard you are using.

Are you installing linux to a partition or a virtual machine in Windows?
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018
Fr0zen1

Post by Fr0zen1 »

To a partition, dual booting.

May be a problem with my hardware. Anyway to find out whats causing it?
PatH57

Post by PatH57 »

let's have a look on your hw and drivers. BTW Mint 17 is based on ubuntu 14.04 so the errors are probably the same.

Code: Select all

inxi -Fxz
Fr0zen1

Post by Fr0zen1 »

PatH57 wrote:let's have a look on your hw and drivers. BTW Mint 17 is based on ubuntu 14.04 so the errors are probably the same.

inxi -Fxz
Alright, just would like to note there that this is not the original Acer Aspire M3201, I have modified it over time. And please ignore the ubuntu to, I`m going to be installing Mint again cuz I hate ubuntu(the unity ofcourse O.o) And thank you for your help :)

System:    Host: fr0zen1-Aspire-M3201 Kernel: 3.13.0-32-generic x86_64 (64 bit, gcc: 4.8.2) 
           Desktop: Gnome Distro: Ubuntu 14.04 trusty
Machine:   System: Acer product: Aspire M3201
           Mobo: Acer model: RS780HVF Bios: American Megatrends version: R01-B2 date: 08/15/2008
CPU:       Quad core AMD Phenom 9150e (-MCP-) cache: 2048 KB flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4a svm) bmips: 14395.4 
           Clock Speeds: 1: 900.00 MHz 2: 1800.00 MHz 3: 900.00 MHz 4: 1800.00 MHz
Graphics:  Card: NVIDIA GF108 [GeForce GT 430] bus-ID: 01:00.0 
           X.Org: 1.15.1 drivers: nouveau (unloaded: fbdev,vesa) Resolution: 1440x900@59.9hz 
           GLX Renderer: Gallium 0.4 on NVC1 GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 10.1.3 Direct Rendering: Yes
Audio:     Card-1: NVIDIA GF108 High Definition Audio Controller driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 01:00.1 
           Card-2: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] SBx00 Azalia (Intel HDA) driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:14.2 
           Card-3: Z-Star Micro Venus USB2.0 Camera driver: USB Audio usb-ID: 002-002 
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture ver: k3.13.0-32-generic
Network:   Card: Marvell 88E8071 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller driver: sky2 ver: 1.30 port: e800 bus-ID: 02:00.0
           IF: eth0 state: up speed: 100 Mbps duplex: full mac: <filter>
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 820.2GB (0.8% used) 1: id: /dev/sda model: WDC_WD3200AAJS size: 320.1GB temp: 26C 
           2: id: /dev/sdb model: ST3500312CS size: 500.1GB temp: 23C 
Partition: ID: / size: 145G used: 6.3G (5%) fs: ext4 ID: swap-1 size: 1.57GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap 
RAID:      No RAID devices detected - /proc/mdstat and md_mod kernel raid module present
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 33.0C mobo: N/A gpu: 38.0 
           Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A 
Info:      Processes: 196 Uptime: 4 min Memory: 584.4/5969.2MB Runlevel: 2 Gcc sys: 4.8.2 
           Client: Shell (bash 4.3.11) inxi: 1.9.17 
PatH57

Post by PatH57 »

so far so good, no missing drivers.

cat /var/log/dmesg
Fr0zen1

Post by Fr0zen1 »

PatH57 wrote:so far so good, no missing drivers.

cat /var/log/dmesg

I have to pastebin this one, due to the line limit: http://pastebin.com/qjs0vxvY

Edit: I forgot to mention, but when ever mint is turning on, it says Unreliable CPU thermal or something like that. Same with ubuntu. And it said that since mint 14, so I just ignored that message. The freezing just started yesterday
PatH57

Post by PatH57 »

nothing really relevant in there.
You are using cinnamon?
you could try the nvidia drivers (control center driver manager and see if other drivers are available for your card)
Fr0zen1

Post by Fr0zen1 »

PatH57 wrote:nothing really relevant in there.
You are using cinnamon?
you could try the nvidia drivers (control center driver manager and see if other drivers are available for your card)

There are other drivers, I chose the recomended one, but I`ll try another one to see if that helps. I`ll let you know.

And thank you for your fast responses.
Edit: after installing the drivers manually i get this error: http://imgur.com/yR2mpPz

And further down it says initializing built-in.... stuff and vesa: ignoring device sith bound kernal driver
Then no screens found(EE)
Fr0zen1

Nemo goes into fallback mode

Post by Fr0zen1 »

Hello there, newbie here so excuse anything stupid.

So the problem is that when I install a nvidia driver through the driver manager, like the nvidia-331 or nvidia-304. After a restart everything is fine. But if I turn of my computer, then turn it on. Boom, nemo has gone into fallback mode. And to fix this I have to install the drivers again and restart and then if I turn of my computer and turn it on. Again, nemo goes into fallback mode

So any help? Maybe point me on the track to install a custom driver or something. Newbie so please keep it simple. Thank you
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Nemo goes into fallback mode

Post by austin.texas »

I believe you mean Cinnamon goes into fallback mode.

Please open a terminal and post the result of the command:

inxi -Fxz
How To Get Help:
- http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=83444
Details!
* Include the version number and architecture (32-bit, 64-bit) of Linux Mint, and Desktop Environment (Cinnamon, KDE, MATE, etc) .
* List any relevant hardware or software specifications. 'inxi' is a useful terminal command for listing this. Generally it suffices to type the following command in a terminal and include the output in your post -> inxi -Fxzo
* If you have errors, list them in their entirety, when possible.
* If you need to post any large log files, copy them to - http://pastebin.com/ - and post the resulting link here.
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018
Fr0zen1

Post by Fr0zen1 »

austin.texas wrote:I believe you mean Cinnamon goes into fallback mode.

Please open a terminal and post the result of the command:

inxi -Fxz
How To Get Help:
- http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=83444
Details!
* Include the version number and architecture (32-bit, 64-bit) of Linux Mint, and Desktop Environment (Cinnamon, KDE, MATE, etc) .
* List any relevant hardware or software specifications. 'inxi' is a useful terminal command for listing this. Generally it suffices to type the following command in a terminal and include the output in your post -> inxi -Fxzo
* If you have errors, list them in their entirety, when possible.
* If you need to post any large log files, copy them to - http://pastebin.com/ - and post the resulting link here.
I`m the same guy that made the mint and ubuntu freezing. No one replied to that topic so made a new one.

System:    Host: fr0zen1-Aspire-M3201 Kernel: 3.13.0-24-generic x86_64 (64 bit, gcc: 4.8.2) 
           Desktop: Gnome Distro: Linux Mint 17 Qiana
Machine:   System: Acer product: Aspire M3201
           Mobo: Acer model: RS780HVF Bios: American Megatrends version: R01-B2 date: 08/15/2008
CPU:       Quad core AMD Phenom 9150e (-MCP-) cache: 2048 KB flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4a svm) bmips: 14394.1 
           Clock Speeds: 1: 1800.00 MHz 2: 900.00 MHz 3: 1800.00 MHz 4: 1800.00 MHz
           X.Org: 1.15.1 drivers: nvidia (unloaded: fbdev,vesa,nouveau) Resolution: 1440x900@59.9hz 
           GLX Renderer: GeForce GT 430/PCIe/SSE2 GLX Version: 4.4.0 NVIDIA 343.13 Direct Rendering: Yes
Audio:     Card-1: NVIDIA GF108 High Definition Audio Controller driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 01:00.1
           Card-2: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] SBx00 Azalia (Intel HDA) driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:14.2
           Card-3: Z-Star Micro Venus USB2.0 Camera driver: USB Audio usb-ID: 0ac8:3420
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture ver: k3.13.0-24-generic
Network:   Card: Marvell 88E8071 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller driver: sky2 ver: 1.30 port: e800 bus-ID: 02:00.0
           IF: eth0 state: up speed: 100 Mbps duplex: full mac: <filter>
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 820.2GB (1.0% used) 1: id: /dev/sda model: WDC_WD3200AAJS size: 320.1GB 
           2: id: /dev/sdb model: ST3500312CS size: 500.1GB 
Partition: ID: / size: 145G used: 7.5G (6%) fs: ext4 ID: swap-1 size: 1.57GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap 
RAID:      No RAID devices detected - /proc/mdstat and md_mod kernel raid module present
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 53.0C mobo: N/A gpu: 0.0:68C 
           Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A 
Info:      Processes: 170 Uptime: 53 min Memory: 2412.9/5969.2MB Runlevel: 2 Gcc sys: 4.8.2 Client: Shell inxi: 1.8.4 

karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

<moderator on>
Fr0zen1 wrote:I`m the same guy that made the mint and ubuntu freezing. No one replied to that topic so made a new one.
Referenced thread: Linux Mint and Ubuntu, both freeze after sometime - As a matter of fact 2 users answered.
As this new thread here continues the other thread, both have been combined.
</moderator off>
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 771 days now.
Lifeline
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

Hello, Fr0zen1.

In such cases where you experience problems which are not really trivial to analyze and troubleshoot, you will have to be more patient. Of course I do understand it is hard to be patient in such cases. But after just two days without new replies a thread is not dead. It simply means you have not added a relevant new detail and that based on the available pieces of information nobody dare give any piece of advice.

Back to your case:
Initially you used the nouveau driver for your NVidia GeForce GT430, and you experienced problems, even hard freezes.
Currently you use a proprietary NVdia driver, NVIDIA 343.13, and experience problems still.

This driver NVIDIA 343.13, where did you download it from, from the NVidia download page? From a Launchpad PPA? (It is just not listed in the normal repositories for Ubuntu 14.04, yet. This does not mean the driver software is the root cause, because nouveau did not give better results, either.)

What about the freezing? Does it still occur? Or is the problem now "only that Cinnamon drops back to fallback mode"?

Kind regards,
Karl
--
P.S.:
Personally, I have experienced a real hard freeze only once. It occurred on my Dell Latitude E6330 on Mint 13. It turned out that it was caused by a bug in K3.2.0-xx. Had to switch to K3.5.0-xx and the corresponding Ubuntu hardware enablement stack. - Only mention this to give a hint that hard freezes need not be related to the video driver hardware/software in all cases.
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 771 days now.
Lifeline
Fr0zen1

Post by Fr0zen1 »

karlchen wrote:Hello, Fr0zen1.

In such cases where you experience problems which are not really trivial to analyze and troubleshoot, you will have to be more patient. Of course I do understand it is hard to be patient in such cases. But after just two days without new replies a thread is not dead. It simply means you have not added a relevant new detail and that based on the available pieces of information nobody dare give any piece of advice.

Back to your case:
Initially you used the nouveau driver for your NVidia GeForce GT430, and you experienced problems, even hard freezes.
Currently you use a proprietary NVdia driver, NVIDIA 343.13, and experience problems still.

This driver NVIDIA 343.13, where did you download it from, from the NVidia download page? From a Launchpad PPA? (It is just not listed in the normal repositories for Ubuntu 14.04, yet. This does not mean the driver software is the root cause, because nouveau did not give better results, either.)

What about the freezing? Does it still occur? Or is the problem now "only that Cinnamon drops back to fallback mode"?

Kind regards,
Karl
--
P.S.:
Personally, I have experienced a real hard freeze only once. It occurred on my Dell Latitude E6330 on Mint 13. It turned out that it was caused by a bug in K3.2.0-xx. Had to switch to K3.5.0-xx and the corresponding Ubuntu hardware enablement stack. - Only mention this to give a hint that hard freezes need not be related to the video driver hardware/software in all cases.
I apologise for the impatience, and for not providing enough information

The 343 13, I just downloaded now incase it would fix it from

ppa:xorg-edgers/ppa -y
. So the fallback thing happens on 304 and 331. I tried installing them manually but the X server crashed. So I don`t really know what to do now.

If you know of any tuto out there that shows how you install nvidia drivers manually, for newbies. That would be great. I would love to solve this. Thank you
Fr0zen1

Post by Fr0zen1 »

What done when I reinstall the driver? Maybe I could do that on every boot up?
PatH57

Post by PatH57 »

it's getting a bit confusing.
were you able to install the ppa:xorg-edgers/ppa -y ?
Fr0zen1

Post by Fr0zen1 »

PatH57 wrote:it's getting a bit confusing.
were you able to install the ppa:xorg-edgers/ppa -y ?
Yes it added nvidia-343 in the driver manager.

Let me just summerise cuause its kinda confusing me to :).

So nouveau drivers, my computer freezes after some time. But when I install any of the nvidia drivers(331,343 or 304), my cinnamon goes into fallback mode. But if I re-install the driver and then restart cinamon is fine till the next restart.

So thats it. I really want to fix this, I do game on my linux so thats why I need the nvidia drivers and cinnamon looks ugly in fallback mode. Thank you
PatH57

Post by PatH57 »

ok

repost

inxi -Gxz
Fr0zen1

Post by Fr0zen1 »

PatH57 wrote:ok

repost

inxi -Gxz

Here:

X.Org: 1.15.1 drivers: nvidia (unloaded: fbdev,vesa,nouveau) Resolution: 1440x900@59.9hz 
           GLX Renderer: GeForce GT 430/PCIe/SSE2 GLX Version: 4.4.0 NVIDIA 331.89 Direct Rendering: Yes

Return to “Cinnamon”