[SOLVED] Cinnamon panel width

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
aka.doode

[SOLVED] Cinnamon panel width

Post by aka.doode »

Hey folks!

Last time I bought a laptop I wanted to give Cinnamon a shot, but at that time it was a bit too sluggish on my hardware and I settled for XFCE. Now it's time for another laptop purchase, and I would like to run LM 17 Cinnamon on it. I tried it in a VM and I'm pleased to see that it's become very polished - good job!

From XFCE (and previously, GNOME 2) I'm used to having a full width visible bar at the top, and a more narrow, auto hidden, bar with menu + launchers at the bottom. I set up the bottom bar to have greater height, be centered, and have its width auto adjusted. Is there a way to configure such a panel in Cinnamon, that is - how do I configure a panel's width, either to a fixed value or (preferrably) to be auto adjusted? I could not find such a setting while trying LM 17 Cinnamon in a VM.

EDIT:
The answer is apparently no.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
simonbrown

Re: Cinnamon panel width

Post by simonbrown »

Putting the main panel at the top is no problem, just go into the panel settings. You can also have an additional panel at the bottom. However for the specifics of what you are asking for ... I also have seen no suitable settings for effectively setting up a bottom panel that is configured separately from the top.

How about a different way ? Put the main panel at the top, don't use a second panel, but load cairo dock from the software manager. Cairo dock is very flexible and adaptable and you should be able to set it up to do pretty much just what you want as a pop-up set of launchers at the bottom. Nice on the eye too :wink:
aka.doode

Re: Cinnamon panel width

Post by aka.doode »

simonbrown wrote:Putting the main panel at the top is no problem, just go into the panel settings. You can also have an additional panel at the bottom. However for the specifics of what you are asking for ... I also have seen no suitable settings for effectively setting up a bottom panel that is configured separately from the top.

How about a different way ? Put the main panel at the top, don't use a second panel, but load cairo dock from the software manager. Cairo dock is very flexible and adaptable and you should be able to set it up to do pretty much just what you want as a pop-up set of launchers at the bottom. Nice on the eye too :wink:
I gave Cairo a shot. It's not bad, but... I like things to feel integrated, and to keep the number of packages I depend on as low as possible. I think it'll be XFCE (or MATE) for me this time as well.

Return to “Cinnamon”