More complex window tiling

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
semicolon

More complex window tiling

Post by semicolon »

Recently I switched from linux mint 14 to the latest linux mint 17 and everything is working great! The only thing which isn't working is the gTile extension which I really loved. Luckily there now is a default window tiling which can be controlled by the super + arrow keys, I really like the way it works but it can only tile to half the screen, but I often want to tile to thirds or fourths of the screen.

Is there any way I can edit the behaviour of the window tiling so I can tile to one third / two third of the screen as well? Thanks for any help!

Linux Mint 17 64 bit + Cinnamon 2.2
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
yatesco

Re: More complex window tiling

Post by yatesco »

I don't have an answer for that, but you should look into xmonad if you haven't already. I have no idea if it would work with cinnamon, but for a number of years I ran xmonad exclusively and it was fantastic - *if* you want a tiling manager :).
semicolon

Post by semicolon »

yatesco wrote:I don't have an answer for that, but you should look into xmonad if you haven't already. I have no idea if it would work with cinnamon, but for a number of years I ran xmonad exclusively and it was fantastic - *if* you want a tiling manager :).
Thanks for the suggestion, I just had a look at Xmonad, but I am stuck at the configuration it seems quite complex. I liked the simpleness of gTile :P Maybe when I have some time I will have a good look at configuring Xmonad.

If anyone has a better suggestion please tell! :)
Shuairan

Post by Shuairan »

Hey semicolon,

look again at the latest version of gTile. It now works with Cinnamon 2.2 and has even some new features!
You can find it in the extension manager, in cinnamon-spices or on github.

Return to “Cinnamon”