Mint 17 Cinnamon now not automounting

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
CaptainMark

Mint 17 Cinnamon now not automounting

Post by CaptainMark »

My Mint 17 install has recently stopped automounting usb drives. They show up in Nemo side panel and will mount okay when I click them, but do not automatically mount, it used to work fine. I got p*d off trying to fix it so took the drastic step of re-installing, on a fresh install, it worked OK, then I ran the standard updates again and I'm back to the problematic behaviour with no automounting.

I'm pulling my hair out with this one, any suggestions.

It works okay if I switch to XFCE, just doesn't work in cinnamon, and I've checked in dconf-editor for settings org.cinnamon,media-handling.automount is set to true. It's still a problem on a guest session too so that eliminates accidental change of user settings anyway.

Regards
Mark
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
CaptainMark

Re: Mint 17 Cinnamon now not automounting

Post by CaptainMark »

Bump,

I'm having this problem with three independent mint 17 cinnamon machines. It can't be just me. XFCE works fine.
lestcape
Level 2
Level 2

Post by lestcape »

Nop, but i have ubuntu... So, nautilus could be the rason in my case...
https://github.com/linuxmint/nemo/issues/681
CaptainMark

Re: Mint 17 Cinnamon, Nemo not automounting

Post by CaptainMark »

I've narrowed it down to Nemo causing the issue, if I load up thunar even in a cinnamon session then everything works as expected. I'll edit the title to show this.
CaptainMark

Post by CaptainMark »

Okay ignore my last comment, Thunar wasnt actually mounting volumes, it just looked like it because I'm obviously not familiar with it, checking lsblk revealed no mounted media, I tried and tried to troubleshoot this issue which was still persisting across fresh (formatted) installs, eventually I gave up and installed Mint 17 XFCE edition which worked fine, updated it and still everything worked fine, just out of curiosity I installed Cinnamon and now everything STILL works fine, aaaah go figure, I have no I idea how or why but this worked for me, I give up investigating and I'm just going with it and just accepting it as another one of those quirks you kind of live with when using free software.
lestcape
Level 2
Level 2

Post by lestcape »

Thats, good for you. I don't know why my problem continues... I have 2 machine with the same problem... I can not release Drives Manager, because i can not test the CD ROM problem that Drives Manager have. This could be fixed if i reinstall Ubuntu, and then test when the problem appear... I have my standar folder on other places (not the default places). I have two disk (with two partition in NTFS), added to fstab... So could be some thing of this, but i test remove the partitions from fstab, and recover the original place of standar folder without any result.
Habitual

Post by Habitual »

CaptainMark wrote:I'm pulling my hair out with this one, any suggestions.
You a member of the plugdev group?

terminal >

Code: Select all

id
will show you.
CaptainMark

Post by CaptainMark »

Yes I am, thats a standard group for a new user, just as quickly as it went, it is now back, it's causing such a bother that I will have to switch distros momentarily until this works.
lestcape
Level 2
Level 2

Post by lestcape »

CaptainMark, i resolve my problem with Drives Manager... Download and configure to automount the USB...
http://cinnamon-spices.linuxmint.com/desklets/view/12 But i recomend you the github version:
https://github.com/lestcape/Drives-Manager
I know that this could not look the same, but Gnome Shell and Cinnamon in some time was used .js to automount drives... See that currently also Nemo don't handled the automount...
https://github.com/linuxmint/nemo/issues/681
lestcape
Level 2
Level 2

Post by lestcape »

Execute on terminal:

dbus-send --system --dest=org.freedesktop.ConsoleKit \
--type=method_call --print-reply --reply-timeout=2000 \
/org/freedesktop/ConsoleKit/Manager \
org.freedesktop.ConsoleKit.Manager.GetCurrentSession

If the terminal has a response:

Error org.freedesktop.ConsoleKit.Manager.GeneralError: Unable to lookup session information for process....

You has permission problems on consolekit... I can not fixed this but i know now the cause of my problem...
CaptainMark

Post by CaptainMark »

I switched to Ubuntu Mate temporarily because it was causing so much annoyance, now Mint 17.1 has been released and I've done a full re-install and the problem seems to be gone, thanks anyway.

Regards
lestcape
Level 2
Level 2

Post by lestcape »

Yes, i need to use mdm (now is working), because on lightdm, is not worked... I also opened a report about the incompatibility in the lightdm website.

Return to “Cinnamon”