The search for the dual task bar

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Geff09

The search for the dual task bar

Post by Geff09 »

Hi everyone,

In first place, english is not my native language, so i'll try to be as clear as possible. If i'm not..... god forgive us please forgive me xD
I made the step into the linux place this afternoon by installing Linux mint. I have downloaded the cinnamon x64 version beacause... i have to take one. No problem with installation and updating my nvidia drivers. When it was the time to set my dual screen, that's when the problem came.

I want to have a task bar on both of the screen (right name is board something i thinks ^^'). Searching on the web for 2 hours it seems thats this features is the most wanted on cinnamon since the 14th version of it. So here is my question. Is there a way to do this on cinammon finaly, or is it better to install an other version of linux mint.
I'm not limited by the performance of the computer so i can't take any environnement (kde, xfce etc...).

Thanks you all for your help

Geff
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: The search for the dual task bar

Post by xenopeek »

Welcome to the Linux Mint forums :)

AFAIK, that function has been in Cinnamon for years. On an English installation, you'd open System Settings, open Panel, and set panel layout to Classic. Log out 'and log in again to activate (or press Alt+F2, type the letter 'r' and press enter to restart Cinnamon).

I hope you are using Linux Mint 17 now?
Geff09

Post by Geff09 »

I put the french linux mint 17 edition. I reinstall it with kde to successfully have 2 dash. But the fluidity of the systeme is awful :s laggy video and scrolling on firefox. I have the direct rendering: Yes, and Nvidia drivers installed... I see a lot of your take of my hair one by one xD
PatH57

Post by PatH57 »

Hi,

could you post

Code: Select all

inxi -v7
simonbrown

Post by simonbrown »

Geff

Can I presume you want to see the panel bar stretched across the whole of two screens when you plug your additional display in ? So as to create a large virtual screen across two physical ones ? Applications like calc seem well behaved in that respect, you can just stretch them out. Unfortunately I cannot find any way to do the same with the panel. It seems fixed to just the default screen, at least as far as I can tell (I am no expert) from experimenting. All I can suggest as a limited workaround is to install the multi-workspace applets like expo scale and the workspace switcher and/or get to know the shortcut keys (e.g. on my computer alt ctrl <- or ->) so you can switch workspaces quickly to get to the panel, and of course the menu (super) key can be useful to bring up the menu as well.

Regards

Simon

Return to “Cinnamon”