[SOLVED]Resetting the backgrounds list to default

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
chaushev

[SOLVED]Resetting the backgrounds list to default

Post by chaushev »

What I have done is add a folder with lots of files to the backgrounds menu. Unlike Windows 7 though, i had to find out it is not as easy to remove them and they stay in the same directory with the default ones. Adding this folder full of wallpapers to the backgrounds menu caused huge lag. The only way to remove them seams to be individually by selecting a single background and clicking on Delete/Remove button - as there are lots of files removing one by one is not an option. I have tried to rename and move the folder I have added to another location but no change - they are all still listed in the backgrounds menu. Also checked the default backgrounds location usr/share/backgrounds which has only the original mint backgrounds and no trace of those added wallpapers.
Do you have any idea how to remove those files or somehow reset the backgrounds menu so it doesn't show those manually added folders no more. Thanks in advance!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
chaushev

Re: Resetting the backgrounds list to default

Post by chaushev »

It is hard to believe nobody can help me. I thought mint was really popular with many users... :?
caribriz

Post by caribriz »

Hello chaushev .... and welcome to the Linux Mint forums :)

I'm using LM17 Cinnamon.

I could not add a folder of my background images when pressing the "Add" button on the System Settings > Backgrounds screen.
I could only add them one at a time.

However, all the background images I added myself were located in a hidden folder in /home.
Go to your /home folder, click View > Show hidden files (or press Ctrl + H)
Open the folders .cinnamon > backgrounds
Try moving them from there.
Close and re-open System Settings > Backgrounds to check if they have been removed.
chaushev

Post by chaushev »

I didn't add the folder but more like its content by ctrl+a (selecting all files) - big mistake - really slowed down my laptop!
Files go to .cinnamon/backgrounds not usr/share/backgrounds. The second directory is for mint default wallpapers only.
Problem solved. Thanks a lot!
caribriz

Post by caribriz »

Glad you fixed it :)

Return to “Cinnamon”