Cursors incorrect in Chrome

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
oalmjono

Cursors incorrect in Chrome

Post by oalmjono »

Am I missing something? I have downloaded and installed a replacement cursor set and it works perfectly in every application except Chrome. The instructions I followed was to extract the files in to ~/.icons and to select the new cursors in Themes/Other Settings/Cursors. All is OK until I mouse over the Chrome window and everything reverts to the default cursor set.

jono
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
WinterTroubles

Re: Cursors incorrect in Chrome

Post by WinterTroubles »

Unfortunately the cursor/pointer in Chrome is defined by Chrome and not you systems cursor/pointer settings. At present I personally know of no way to change the cursor/pointer in Chrome, although if others have found a way to do so then hopefully they will prove me wrong.
oalmjono

[Solved] Re: Cursors incorrect in Chrome

Post by oalmjono »

Actually I seem to have cracked it. A different set of instructions to the ones I followed included extra steps which the set I followed didn't and following them appears to have done the trick.

Namely to extract the files to /usr/share/icons as well as ~/.icons and to edit /usr/share/icons/default/index.theme to reflect your choice and reboot. I hope this works for you too.

jono
WinterTroubles

Post by WinterTroubles »

Well done :D and thanks for the info.
last2throw

Post by last2throw »

Awesome post! thanks for the help!
peroludiarom

Post by peroludiarom »

To set the custom cursors across all apps select it in the menu from the following command:

Code: Select all

sudo update-alternatives --config x-cursor-theme
nkoropoff
Level 2
Level 2

Post by nkoropoff »

Unfortunately, these instructions don't seem to work in Cinnamon. Too bad.
Odyseus
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Odyseus »

Hello, everybody.
nkoropoff wrote:Unfortunately, these instructions don't seem to work in Cinnamon. Too bad.
I had this same problem on Cinnamon. I hovered the mouse cursor over the Dropbox and qBittorrent (QT applications) icons on the system tray and the cursor changed to DMZ-Black. I logged off and the cursor also changed to DMZ-Black on the log in screen, etc.

The update-alternatives didn't even listed the cursor theme that I wanted to use. The edition of the /usr/share/icons/default/index.theme file didn't help either.

In the end, to completely fix the problem, I did what any desperate person would do. I deleted the DMZ-Black and DMZ-White folders from /usr/share/icons. I copied twice the cursor folder of my choice and renamed them to DMZ-Black and DMZ-White. And then edited the index.theme file inside each new folder to Name=DMZ (Black) and Name=DMZ (White) respectively. And the cursor.theme file to Inherits=DMZ-Black and Inherits=DMZ-White respectively.

From there on, all applications started using the cursor theme that I wanted to use always. The only problem now is that every single user on the system will use the same cursor theme too.

Return to “Cinnamon”