Update manager icon broken

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
palimmo
Level 4
Level 4

Update manager icon broken

Post by palimmo »

Hi.
I've installed Linux Mint 17 Cinnamon 64 bit on a friend laptop.
Everything ok excluded the update manager icon loaded when "your system is up-to-date".
As you can see here:
b.png
what can I do?

thanks!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
LM Cinnamon 64bit
hammerron

Re: Update manager icon broken

Post by hammerron »

I may have a similar problem to you. My manager update icon should normally appear as a badge along the bottom of my screen, to the left of the clock as shown here:
Instead it shows like a rectagle that has a top sawed off at an angle:
I found that if I hovered the cursor over this rectagular icon, that it seemed to be some kind of distorted version of the badge icon. I found that I could get the regular badge to come back for me by clicking "menu", "administration", and then "update manager" This restored the look of the badge icon, but seems to be a temporary fix as the problem sometimes reoccurs. Would any one know of a permanent fix?
I am running Linux Mint 17, Cinnamon
palimmo
Level 4
Level 4

Post by palimmo »

up :(
LM Cinnamon 64bit
hammerron

Post by hammerron »

Just reporting back : The icon problem has not reoccured for me for several days now. Hopefully I am all set. Perhaps a recent system update resolved the issue.
hammerron

Post by hammerron »

Update: Yesterday the distorted version of the update icon appeared again to me. Later on, when I rebooted the standard badge was back.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

Hi, folks.

I see the same mintUpdate icon issue as well on Linux Mint 17 32-bit Cinnamon. Yet, so far here it only happens when I have used the xfce desktop (added to LM17 Cinnamon afterwards), logged out from xfce and logged in to Cinnamon.

The workaround:
Terminate the mintUpdate background process. Relaunch it from the Mint menu.

Kind regards,
Karl
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 762 days now.
Lifeline
MattAllatt

Post by MattAllatt »

Change the startup delay on mintupdate to 60 seconds - although you can probably go lower. Go into Startup Applications preferences and change it from there - it defaults to 20 seconds, which isn't long enough, it seems.

This will fix the shield icon problem.
hammerron

Post by hammerron »

I've tried increasing the start time for mint update. I've tried 60 seconds, 90, and 100 seconds which seems to be the maximum allowed. I still have an occaisional problem with the shield.
hammerron

Post by hammerron »

Looks like the people at Linux Mint have fixed the problem. My Mint Update Manager was upgraded to 4.7.8, and then to 4.7.9 and no longer displays the icon problem. It has been fine for about two weeks now, so presume I will be all set !
kev51773
Level 1
Level 1

Post by kev51773 »

Resurrecting an old thread here, but a year later. I'm now having this exact issue with 17.2 cinammon. Killing mintUpdate and relaunching it cures the problem temporarily.
halregen
Level 3
Level 3

Post by halregen »

I don't know if this is exactly the same but the update manager icon won't show in any shape on my systray. I have the preferences set to show it at all time. Starting the update manager from the menu is the only way for me to check if there are updates. A reboot does not help. I have another computer with Mint 17.2 and Cinnamon. The update manager icon is behaving properly with it. The difference between the two computers is only hardware. This problem has only recently started for me.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

Do you say, that the update manager tray icon showed correctly on the problematic computer in the past?

Which level of updates to you apply?
halregen
Level 3
Level 3

Post by halregen »

Cosmo. wrote:Do you say, that the update manager tray icon showed correctly on the problematic computer in the past?

Which level of updates to you apply?
Yes it displayed correctly in the past. I apply updates from 1, 2, and 3.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

Create a new user account with "Administrator" type to find out, if this issue is related to your account or to the system.
JosephM
Level 6
Level 6

Post by JosephM »

halregen wrote:Yes it displayed correctly in the past. I apply updates from 1, 2, and 3.
Check Cinnamon Settings->Applets and make sure you have the "System Tray" applet active. That is what actually shows the icon.

The weird display of the icon is a known issue in Cinnamon. Some work has been done to address it and hopefully it has been fixed/improved for Cinnamon 2.8 which is due in a couple weeks.
When I give opinions, they are my own. Not necessarily those of any other Linux Mint developer or the Linux Mint project as a whole.
halregen
Level 3
Level 3

Post by halregen »

Cosmo. wrote:Create a new user account with "Administrator" type to find out, if this issue is related to your account or to the system.
I created a new admin account. That showed the update icon a minute or after I login.
halregen
Level 3
Level 3

Post by halregen »

JosephM wrote:
halregen wrote:Yes it displayed correctly in the past. I apply updates from 1, 2, and 3.
Check Cinnamon Settings->Applets and make sure you have the "System Tray" applet active. That is what actually shows the icon.

The weird display of the icon is a known issue in Cinnamon. Some work has been done to address it and hopefully it has been fixed/improved for Cinnamon 2.8 which is due in a couple weeks.
That was the problem. Thanks for the help. I never thought to look at that because somehow it had been disabled.

Return to “Cinnamon”