Mint 17 with Cinnamon freezing, possibly touchpad related?

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
djwhiteastro
Level 1
Level 1

Mint 17 with Cinnamon freezing, possibly touchpad related?

Post by djwhiteastro »

I am currently running Mint 17 Cinnamon on a Dell XPS 15 L502X laptop, from a clean install, dual booted with Windows 7. I have had freezing issues from the beginning. First I thought it was Nvidia graphics drivers, but none available seemed to make a difference (one even stopped me loading any x-servers at all). My next guess was it was Chrome related, but the freezing does not seem to correlate with any particular programs open. I managed to get several hours of work done a couple of days ago without a freeze while my wireless was switched off and I was using a wired mouse. Testing today found that internet connection made no difference, leaving the touchpad. I wondered if it was CPU load related (the freeze seems to happen after a brief judder of pointer movement), and switching to "conservative" mode for the CPU governor seemed to help at first, but it occurred several times again this evening. I've tried changing the minimum CPU frequency too, to no avail. I'm running out of ideas.

I have noticed that once frozen, hitting CTRL-ALT-F1 to open a console monitor, and then switching back using CTRL-ALT-F8 unfreezes the session. Sounds also continue playing, but video freezes. This reset has no lasting effect. It can go between a few minutes to an hour or so between freezing, and even after leaving it for 15 minutes, it never unfreezes itself. Any ideas anyone?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
PatH57

Re: Mint 17 with Cinnamon freezing, possibly touchpad relate

Post by PatH57 »

Hi djwhiteastro,

let's firt get your hw info.

Code: Select all

inxi -Fxz
djwhiteastro
Level 1
Level 1

Post by djwhiteastro »

Hi Pat.

Completely forgot to attach this in my post, funnily enough due to a couple of freezes.

System:    Host: dw-Mint Kernel: 3.13.0-24-generic x86_64 (64 bit, gcc: 4.8.2) Desktop: Gnome Distro: Linux Mint 17 Qiana
Machine:   System: Dell product: Dell System XPS L502X
           Mobo: Dell model: 0YR8NN version: A00 Bios: Dell version: A11 date: 05/29/2012
CPU:       Dual core Intel Core i5-2410M CPU (-HT-MCP-) cache: 3072 KB flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx) bmips: 9179.36 
           Clock Speeds: 1: 2300.00 MHz 2: 800.00 MHz 3: 2301.00 MHz 4: 2300.00 MHz
Graphics:  Card-1: Intel 2nd Generation Core Processor Family Integrated Graphics Controller bus-ID: 00:02.0 
           Card-2: NVIDIA GF108M [GeForce GT 525M] bus-ID: 01:00.0 
           X.Org: 1.15.1 driver: nvidia Resolution: 1920x1080@59.9hz 
           GLX Renderer: GeForce GT 525M/PCIe/SSE2 GLX Version: 4.4.0 NVIDIA 331.38 Direct Rendering: Yes
Audio:     Card: Intel 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family High Definition Audio Controller driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:1b.0
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture ver: k3.13.0-24-generic
Network:   Card-1: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller 
           driver: r8169 ver: 2.3LK-NAPI port: 2000 bus-ID: 06:00.0
           IF: eth0 state: down mac: <filter>
           Card-2: Intel Centrino Wireless-N 1000 [Condor Peak] driver: iwlwifi ver: in-tree: bus-ID: 03:00.0
           IF: wlan0 state: up mac: <filter>
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 500.1GB (61.7% used) 1: id: /dev/sda model: ST9500420AS size: 500.1GB 
Partition: ID: / size: 63G used: 16G (27%) fs: ext4 ID: swap-1 size: 1.99GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap 
RAID:      No RAID devices detected - /proc/mdstat and md_mod kernel raid module present
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 55.0C mobo: 55.0C gpu: 0.0:43C 
           Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A 
Info:      Processes: 199 Uptime: 2 min Memory: 1192.6/3846.8MB Runlevel: 2 Gcc sys: 4.8.2 Client: Shell inxi: 1.8.4 
PatH57

Post by PatH57 »

Hi,

first thing I noticed is your bios A00? really or is this a modded one (only A00 I saw where usually preproduction units for marketing or selected customers)
The official version is A12
one of mine looks like this Mobo: Dell model: 0H282K Bios: Dell version: A06 date: 12/04/2008
Check under windows to see what is detected.

fan speed not detected, you may need to install i8k from the package manager (works on most Dell laptop)

You are still using the stock kernel? there have been a lot of updates and the latest 3.13 is 3.13.11 that could also resolve some strange behaviour and update the builtin drivers.

Everything else seems ok from a higher level driver prospective (kind of normal if you run all suggested updates)
djwhiteastro
Level 1
Level 1

Post by djwhiteastro »

Hi,

Thanks for the quick reply. The bios version in Windows is A11. I tried installing i8kutils, but it failed when trying to run. Maybe it will be fixed when I reboot?

As for updates, I've installed all recommended updates. Do you recommend doing a manual kernel update too? Any specific version, or simply the latest 3.13.xx?

Cheers

Darren
PatH57

Post by PatH57 »

Hi,

you should be ok with the latest kernel, it won't break anything and you still have the option to boot to an earlier version if it doesn't work.
Also in windows update your bios it makes sense.

On Mint
Try first to get i8k to work so the new kernel will see it.

http://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/controllin ... ian-linux/

and is the mate-sensor-applet installed?

had to Add "options i8k force=1" on a new line in /etc/modprobe.d/options but that was on my system.

and reboot.
djwhiteastro
Level 1
Level 1

Post by djwhiteastro »

Hi,

BIOS has been updated, but no change. Start up and froze soon after. I thought I had managed to get it to boot into conservative governer, but it was set to ondemand again. I've switched back, and so far it's not crashed, but it did yesterday regardless from what I could tell.

I can't seem to get i8k to work from your link.

dw@dw-Mint ~ $ sudo modprobe -v i8k
insmod /lib/modules/3.13.0-24-generic/kernel/drivers/char/i8k.ko 
modprobe: ERROR: could not insert 'i8k': No such device
After adding "options i8k force=1" and restarting, governor is now set to conservative again. Strange. Still no luck with i8k. Any ideas?

Also tried installing mate-sensors-applet, but it throws and error due to not finding i8k. Shall I just go ahead and try updating the kernel anyway?

Cheers

Darren
PatH57

Post by PatH57 »

Hi,

did you try?

/etc/init.d/i8kmon start
and then

i8kctl
If it doesn't wrok your dell may have a different type of sensor.

The kernel update should be ok.
http://www.yourownlinux.com/2014/06/how ... linux.html
djwhiteastro
Level 1
Level 1

Post by djwhiteastro »

HI,

Definitely doesn't work. Must be a different sensor.

dw@dw-Mint ~ $ /etc/init.d/i8kmon start
 * Starting Dell fan/cpu-temperature monitor i8kmon                      [fail] 
dw@dw-Mint ~ $ i8kctl
can't open /proc/i8k: No such file or directory
I shall have a crack at updating the kernel and get back to you. Thanks for your help.
djwhiteastro
Level 1
Level 1

Post by djwhiteastro »

No luck I'm afraid. Updated kernel and it seemed stable for a little while, but it has happened again. Any other ideas?

Cheers

Darren
PatH57

Post by PatH57 »

Hi Daren,

not really but I wouldn't harm trying a 3.14 kernel it's also long term support.

and off course your best friend is google
search about your specific laptop and add freezing
best guess ubuntu "model" freezing
djwhiteastro
Level 1
Level 1

Post by djwhiteastro »

I will give the new kernel a try, but Googling the last few weeks just comes up with nothing. I've seen several threads on here about Mint 17 freezing issues, some to do with wireless, some to do with mouse issues, but nobody has found a proper solution that works it seems.

Darren.
PatH57

Post by PatH57 »

Hi Dareen

well that's the linux world, everything is been done free of chrage and we can't force manufacturers to support and certify like it's done under other OSs.
So our best allies are the users that report problems and freezing on one machine is not freezing on another machine (they are alsways differences)
That's why updates exit so patience is your best friend.
djwhiteastro
Level 1
Level 1

Post by djwhiteastro »

Indeed, I've been running linux variations for the past 5 or 6 years, and on this laptop since 2011, most recently an old version of Mint, and it worked fine apart from LibreOffice. There's always been some small issues, but this new version of Mint is practically unusable in it's current state for my work. Guess I will have to change distro and try again.

Thanks anyway for your help.

Darren
PatH57

Post by PatH57 »

wish you more luck with a more stable version

Patrick
Binky

Post by Binky »

I've had this exact problem, and it was the Nvidia proprietary driver which was causing it. Changing to the Nouveau driver fixed it for me.
PatH57

Post by PatH57 »

Hi,

also on a Dell XPS 15 L502X?
Binky

Post by Binky »

Yes, same make of laptop too.

Apparently a lot of people with other laptops & Linux distributions have had the same issue: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... ug/1220426
PatH57

Post by PatH57 »

Hi,

I've send a PM to Darren, let's see if he can try this.
Thanks
djwhiteastro
Level 1
Level 1

Post by djwhiteastro »

HI, sorry, I saw the posts this morning. I tried switching to the Nouveu driver in the first week with no luck it seemed, but I've just given it another try and it seems sort of okay for now. I had to go back to the older kernel though, the battery life was terrible, and it ran a bit too hot for my liking.

I'll try this set up and get back to you either in a couple of days if it is all going fine, or as soon as it freezes again.

Cheers

Darren

Return to “Cinnamon”