Mint 17 with Cinnamon freezing, possibly touchpad related?

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
djwhiteastro
Level 1
Level 1

Mint 17 with Cinnamon freezing, possibly touchpad related?

Post by djwhiteastro »

I'm having some random freezing issues since doing a clean install of Mint 17 with Cinnamon. At first I wondered if it was Firefox/Chrome issues but it seems to be unrelated to either one specifically. Next I wondered if it was a wireless issue, but again it has happened whether using wifi or hardwired. The only thing that seems to be the same is that I am using my touchpad at the time it freezes. I've had several hours of trouble free use when using a wired mouse. Initially I thought it was if I was using the touchpad when the CPU ramped up. I changed the CPU governor from ondemand to conservative, but still freezes. I also set the minimum frequency from 800MHz to 1.2GHz, but the freezes still happen randomly. If I use CTRL-ALT-F1 to enter a console, and immediately re-enter using CTRL-ALT-F8, and everything is unfrozen. But it inevitably happens again. Sometimes it lasts for an hour or so between freezing, often it happens every few minutes. Any ideas?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Kalyk
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Mint 17 with Cinnamon freezing, possibly touchpad relate

Post by Kalyk »

Usually problems have got a connection to graphics so see if you have the right graphics, are there other drivers?
Another option: did you install all the updates? Including the level 5 with the firmware? It might include something for your touchpad.
Also: is there a BIOS update for your computer?
For further suggestions: please post the output of (using the terminal):

Code: Select all

inxi -F
Add (Solved) to the topic-title of the first post when appropriate so others know they might find a solution here.
PatH57

Post by PatH57 »

Hi

did you check the recommandations given on your last post, seems this is the same problem?
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 8&t=172826
pacharanero
Level 1
Level 1

Post by pacharanero »

I had the same problem with multiple freezes of Cinnamon occurring every few minutes of use. I could restart the X server by using Ctrl - Alt - Backspace and login again but this loses the session and all unsaved data.

I also found that using the power button would break the lock, by putting up the "restart/logout/shutdown/hibernate" dialog, and then clicking on Cancel.

The problem seems to have been fixed by updating the kernel from 3.13 to 3.15.7 (currently the lastest stable linux kernel)

Hope this helps someone else.

M

Return to “Cinnamon”