Linux mint 17 Cinnamon cannot mount drives

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Rno
Level 1
Level 1

Linux mint 17 Cinnamon cannot mount drives

Post by Rno »

Hello,

I have been using Linux Mint 13 mate 64 bits since it was released and it has always worked well without a bug that would affect me. Since then I tried Mint 15 and 16 mate and it was unusable due to too many bugs. I now need to move on (drivers on mint 13 are ageing). I tried Mint 17 mate but same as before many bugs (restart button logs out, no sound, cannot mount drives...).

So I tried Mint 17 Cinnamon 64 bits and I was initially very impressed but I am now facing annoying bugs.

In mint 13 mate when clicking a local drive or plugging a usb the drive would mount without any question! In mint 17 mate and also Cinnamon (this is what I am using now) it is not working. Nemo (Cinnamon files browser) gives me the following message: "Unable to mount xxx GB Volume Not authorized to perform operation" when I click on the icons of one of my local partitions. Plugging a usb drive give the same message automatically.

I can mount the drives fine by command line.

I tried

Code: Select all

sudo nemo
but it does not help as it does not list possible drives/partition to be mounted. Although I can unmount with sudo mojo.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I would like to deploy Mint 17 cinnamon to about 20 workstation but I need it to behave for normal users who know nothing about command line and simply want to access their usb drives if they need to.

Cheers,
Arnaud
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
mezzenger
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Linux mint 17 Cinnamon cannot mount drives

Post by mezzenger »

I am having the same problem. It works fine on my other laptop. It worked fine before. Both machines are up to date. I have Googled this problem until my eyes are bleeding.

I am also having the shutdown hang problem which seemed to come at the same time. And launchers that require authentication do not launch except from a terminal. I hope someone has seen this before and has really solved it.

Thank you!

-Michel-

Post by -Michel- »

It also has problems with usb sticks if you make a new live usb. You can't mount it anymore in Mint 17 cinnamon after the live iso has been converted to your usb stick, result reformat the usb to get it to use again :(. When i use my windows 7 boot its working fine with that stick, mint 17 refuses to open it.
russ553

Post by russ553 »

I am also having the same issue with my Cinnamon desktop in mounting usb drives. My laptop with Cinnamon works fine.
Mik3e
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Mik3e »

I noticed in the original message that sudo was used to open nemo. This can/will change permissions in unpleasant ways. It's better to use gksu. At this point it's probably necessary to open the file manager as superuser and find some permissions to fix.

Return to “Cinnamon”