Nemo can't rename files.

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
LeBoy
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Nemo can't rename files.

Post by LeBoy »

Hi guys, since today I had some time in my hands I got a little further with this problem research and I'd like to share the new information with you:

At least in my case the problem is caused by the NVidia driver. As soon as I switch to the Nouveau driver he problem is completely eliminated. I don't use any foreign language packages, or extra keyboard layouts. Just plain English.

Problem Symptoms:
When renaming files/folders in Nemo (version 2.6.7) cursor position and behavior is extremely erratic. In some parts of the OS GUI mouse response is also delayed (e.g. deep in the menus of Firewall - gufw, or Samba Server Configuration - system-config-samba.) I also noticed cursor delays when typing long texts in GEdit like this one.

My System:
Linux Mint 17.2 64-bit (Cinnamon)
GPU: Geforce GTX 560 TI

Problem is caused by drivers:
- nvidia-346-updates / NVidia driver 346.82
- nvidia-352 / NVidia driver 352.30

Problem doesn't happen with driver:
- xserver-xorg-video-nouveau / Version 1:1.0.11

I tried to change the settings in the NVidia X Server Settings but the options there are very limited and it didn't bring me any positive results. Of course simply switching to the Nouveau driver is not a solution since this would enormously jeopardize the performance of HD video playback :-(

I also tried to install the newest driver - NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-352.41.run, from the official NVidia site but the installation failed under my version of Mint. My next step would now be to try to find an alternative video driver that offers good video playback performance and doesn't conflict with Mint. If anyone has the similar problem and wants to help me with troubleshooting, please share what you find.
hissingshark

Post by hissingshark »

It has always baffled me how GPU drivers can impact on so much. But yeah, the Nvidia drivers are a factor here for me too.

I cannot do without them because of rendering performance in Blender and because without them I find hibernation leads to crashes after startup (and I need hibernation because wake-on-lan doesn't work with a regular shut down).

On Mint 17.0 Cinnamon I found they led to frequent display lockups, particularly (perhaps only?) when browsing in Firefox. I 17.2 those have finally stopped. If I could replicate this success in 17.0 I'd gladly go back.

Incidentally, is this an Nvidia AND Cinnamon issue? Will a another desktop fix (let's call it avoid) this?
LeBoy
Level 1
Level 1

Post by LeBoy »

Good point!

Anyone using Mint 17.2 " Mate" + Nvidia drivers who can confirm that the renaming problem doesn't occur?
LeBoy
Level 1
Level 1

Post by LeBoy »

I found some more interesting information. See my last post in this thread:
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 4#p1069404
AE2100A
Level 2
Level 2

Post by AE2100A »

Also having the problem. Have it on Linux Mint 17.3 cinnamon 64 bit.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

<mod> Split off LadiciusCainam's post about LM 19.3 Cinnamon, new thread here: viewtopic.php?f=208&t=318510 </Mod>
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 762 days now.
Lifeline

Return to “Cinnamon”