[SOLVED] CTRL + SPACE shortcut problem

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
dentex
Level 1
Level 1

[SOLVED] CTRL + SPACE shortcut problem

Post by dentex »

Hello,
I'm posting here because this issue may be related to Cinnamon, although I'm not sure.
I did a fresh install of Qiana, with the "caveat" of keeping the /home partition un-formatted. This is because I have some applications/binary/resources tight together that I prefer not to reconfigure every time.
Anyway, all caches and temporary files have been flushed before upgrading.
Many Mint upgrades went OK in this way. The only minor glitch I'm experiencing ATM is that, although the CTRL+SPACE shortcut seems to be unused from Cinnamon's settings, I can't use it into the Eclipse IDE. To use the "old" CTRL+SPACE function, I have to move it to another shortcut.
I would like to have it where it used to be, for productivity reasons and also because I don't know why I shouldn't use a keyboard shortcut that seems to be unassigned.

Any help it's much appreciated.
Thanks for another wonderful release anyway.

PS: I forgot to say that something I miss from the official repo is the synapse package... the version installed from the official (testing) PPA is unusable due to its continuous crashes.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Re: CTRL + SPACE shortcut problem

Post by karlchen »

Hello, dentex.

About the second issue that you mentioned:
Maybe this will help: synapse package missing in 14.04 Trusty Tahr, the suggested workaround right at the beginning of the Launchpad thread, plus posts #20 to #23.

Cheers,
Karl
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 762 days now.
Lifeline
dentex
Level 1
Level 1

Post by dentex »

karlchen wrote:Hello, dentex.

About the second issue that you mentioned:
Maybe this will help: synapse package missing in 14.04 Trusty Tahr, the suggested workaround right at the beginning of the Launchpad thread, plus posts #20 to #23.

Cheers,
Karl
Hi karlchen,
indeed, great info provided: Synapse is back and working. Thank you very much!

Now I have again the ALT+SPACE busy (with Synapse)... I have to found a solution to have back CTRL+SPACE. ;)
nicocube

Post by nicocube »

I've the same issue since upgrading to Mint 17.

The shortcut Ctrl-Space do not work neither in Eclipse nor in Geany.

I tried to install synapse but that changed nothing to my issue.

Best regards
dentex
Level 1
Level 1

Post by dentex »

nicocube wrote:I've the same issue since upgrading to Mint 17.

The shortcut Ctrl-Space do not work neither in Eclipse nor in Geany.

I tried to install synapse but that changed nothing to my issue.

Best regards
Synapse actually has nothing to do with it! ;)
Apart from having the ALT+SPACE shortcut on my PC.

Cheers!
nicocube

Post by nicocube »

I understand now synapse is not related to the issue, I even removed it after seeing it was just a useless piece of crap. :wink:

I investigated a bit more the issue and I found out that actually any combination including Ctrl-Space is broken. (Ctrl-Space, Shift-Ctrl-Space, Alt-Ctrl-Space, ... )

Then I searched a bit more again and then discovered the problem was with ibus ! Ibus reserve Ctrl-Space to move to next input method, even if you have only one input method (in my case).

To change that, right-click the keyboard icon in the upper right corner of you Cinamon UI, and click preference. This should open the ibus preference. Here you shoud see the "Next input method" shortcut coming first and set to Ctrl-Space. Click on the '...' button next to the field, and in the popup click 'delete' and validate (or set another shortcut if you need it).

This solved the issue for me. :D
dentex
Level 1
Level 1

Post by dentex »

Hi,
Thanks, it worked.
But I had to insert "ibus" into the cinnamon's menu search field, to find the input methods settings...

---

Anyway... nooo, really, Synapse is essential to my workflow. ALT+SPACE and every app or other launches are a RETURN-hit away. I love it.
Anyway, "De gustibus non disputandum est", old Latins, said. :)
geoffm

Re: [SOLVED] CTRL + SPACE shortcut problem

Post by geoffm »

dentex wrote:something I miss from the official repo is the synapse package... the version installed from the official (testing) PPA is unusable due to its continuous crashes.
I've been running synapse fine in Linux Mint 17 from this PPA

Code: Select all

deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/synapse-core/testing/ubuntu trusty main
Phash

Post by Phash »

Thanks for solving the ctrl-space problem
romiro

Post by romiro »

Since no one actually responded on how to fix this, for me it was as easy as (after an hour or two of banging my head) disabling the shortcut for "IBus", which was set to ctrl-space after upgrading from 14 to 17

If you search your applications for "ibus", (using Mate here, maybe different for Cinnamon) you should see "Keyboard Input Methods" pop up. Click on that app, and the very first option you can set is the keyboard shortcut for "Next input method". Click this, then "delete" in the popup that shows. Immediate fix for me with PHPStorm not registering any ctrl-space command.

Hope this helps anyone else who runs across this on a google search of frustration.

Return to “Cinnamon”