Cinnamon Issues - Doesn't Load the First time

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
alexreinking

Cinnamon Issues - Doesn't Load the First time

Post by alexreinking »

Hi all, I have started experiencing a few issues with Cinnamon (and possibly mdm/upstart), and have hit a wall. Everything was fine just a few days ago.

First, when the computer boots, it does so quickly, and I see the login screen within seconds. This would be great if my keyboard would turn on at the same time. As it stands, I wait at the login screen for up to thirty seconds before any mouse/keyboard input goes through. I've tried it with different mice and keyboards, so I'm pretty sure it isn't hardware.

Second, after I do log in, it can take up to five minutes (!) for Cinnamon to actually... load? I get a desktop within about 20 seconds, but all of the icons are wrong, and I have to restart nemo after Cinnamon finally starts to apply the correct theme to everything. If I log out, the problem does not recur, and I get a proper cinnamon desktop immediately.

It used to be that I could go from powered off to a desktop in under 20 seconds, including typing my password. It's distressing mostly because I don't know what changed.

Thanks in advance for the help,

Alex
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
alexreinking

Re: Cinnamon Issues - Doesn't Load the First time

Post by alexreinking »

It's been about two days now, and I haven't seen any improvement. Can anyone here help me, or am I better off reinstalling and hoping for the best?
nb26

Post by nb26 »

I had this problem with Ubuntu 12.04 on my old macbook 4. I had a perfectly good login until after a day or two, then it would sit there without input for about 1.5 minutes before recognizing the optical usb mouse and its own keyboard! I reinstalled and the same thing would happen regardless!

But I now use MInt 17 Cinnamon and have not had any issues. I think one major difference is that I applied updates immeadiately and followed to do lists https://sites.google.com/site/easylinux ... amon-first to complete the Mint install. It could just be a small bug that was fixed. Did you install all updates before this issue?
nb26

Post by nb26 »

Decided to try out lubuntu and Mint 17 xfce. It may be a harware issue

Return to “Cinnamon”